jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Don't Use All Bold

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

I've seen several hubs that were in all bold typing. I read that Google will now rate your down for that. One of my sites had a page in all bold and after reading this, I changed it. My site moved up several pages in Google soon afterwards.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
      PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your hub moved up because you edited it.  If you added or deleted a word, you'd have a similar effect.  When you edit, google assumes that your info has been updated, so gives it a brief nudge upwards.  Emboldening text is neither here nor there, methinks.  I strongly suspect you've been fed bad advice.

Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It was my website that moved up.

It wasn't a brief move either. It's been several months. On websites adding or deleting a word doesn't seem to help unless you are one of the top sites.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
            PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Okay, okay, believe what you want!  ;-)

I just wanted people who read your forum post to appreciate that what you were saying might not actually be factually correct.

2. tritrain profile image76
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

Sometimes we just want to SHOUT at people.

3. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago

I noticed a website belonging to a HP member that had large bold type.  Since the site was for seniors I thought the idea was brilliant.  I could not imagine why Google would want to penalize a site for this kind of activity.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But bold is harder to read. If people have older eyes they can increase their own font if they want.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
        KristenGraceposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I would never bold all text.

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

While we’re at it, using all italics isn’t that good of an idea either. I’ve seen that as well. smile

5. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

I don't find bold hard to read, but italics and all capitals very definitely so. I also find it difficult to read strange "artistic" fonts or stupid colour combinations.

I needed to buy something from a web site once. It was the only source of what I needed. I was unable to find out how to order, because it was all written in a very spidery italic in grey text on a black background. I had to email the site owner to ask how to make a purchase. Had another supplier been available, I would certainly have gone to them never to return to the first site.

6. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I wonder if HP allows wingdings. smile

OK. What are wingdings?

working