jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Hub and Forum Titles

1. thebrucebeat profile image61
    thebrucebeatposted 5 years ago

When you read a Hub or Forum title that is grammatically challenged, does it affect your decision to read it?
    There is an unbelievable percentage of titles that are nearly unreadable.  For a self-styled "writer's site", what excuse for this could there be?  Does this embarrass anyone else?

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not unless I am the OP!  smile

2. Michael Willis profile image76
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it does. The title can be a hint about the hub grammatically.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me too. If the title is not grammatically correct or has spelling errors it does put me off reading the whole thing. It is an easy thing to correct. They could spell the URL wrong for SEO reasons but there is no reason they can't correct the title of the hub.

Forum titles are different since they can't be corrected.

1. Michael Willis profile image76
          Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes I wish they had an edit for Forum titles. lol

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OK, learning here, since I am not as literate regarding Language. Does grammar in a title mean spelling and title case. Many of  my titles are not sentences, so how does grammar apply. Punctuation? And, until now I thought the net searched the title, yet it appears it searches the URL. That said, the title I prefer for the article may not be the best for internet search. So, coming up with a different URL would be advised? I don't understand SEO, although it is coming up in my leaning schedule in a  month or two.

2. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 5 years ago

With time you learn to go with the flow.

thebrucebeatposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope not.
      More often than not the person's ability to handle the language tells me volumes about the clarity of thought that I am going to encounter.
      Why would people who can't write at all have a hobby of posting publicly?

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They have a dream...smile

3. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 5 years ago

Bruce - could it be that many write the titles that way in hubs for SEO purposes? I don't really believe this, I'm just wondering.

thebrucebeatposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree.
      I don't believe it either.
      LOL.

4. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 5 years ago

In a place like this you try not to let anything get to you.

5. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Titles are just as important as the URL happens to be. When creating hubs- use keywords in your title, but make the URL sensible. The words you first enter into the title, become the URL, which can be changed afterward.

You could end up with both benefits- (a)keyword rich title or (b)a keyword rich URL and/or both. It would be best to get both.

Forum titles are irrelevant, because if there happens to be something not spelled correctly, then there is opportunity to help someone improve, by recognizing the problem. This way, when they write hubs, they know of their problem. It might slow them down in publishing, but hopefully quality does come out of it.

It depends on the individual and how much they like to improve upon themselves.

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

With messed up thread titles it's usually pretty clear whether it's a typo or someone who really can't communicate well in English.  I tend to ignore the really poor English ones (mostly because they're also the ones very likely to be spammy anyway).

A Hub title with grammar/spelling issues loses me automatically.  Why?  Because it's either a sign the person couldn't even get through a one-line title without errors (and without bothering to check), or else it might be that the person did it for SEO purposes (which, to me, says the person's focus is all on SEO, at the expense of proper, decent-quality, grammar/writing - so I'm not interested in what they're trying to pass off either   hmm ).

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image91
    DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

I read them so I can flag them...cuz I'm mean that way! smile

working