jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Website Hacking -How can we prevent It

1. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 8 years ago

Did any one of you come across this problem of websites getting destroyed by hackers.

Many official government sites,Educational sites are being hacked by Agencies. Can any one give tips to protect ourselves from this.

2. webismine profile image61
    webismineposted 8 years ago

I'm also curious to get the tips smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

First step is to get yourself some secure hosting on a dedicated server.

Be prepared to spend some money though smile

1. profile image0
      shinujohn2008posted 8 years ago in reply to this

OK,but many websites which had all protection , i mean official sites were hacked using "Their Contact Us Form".

This information i got from a newspaper

1. GoldenThread profile image60
        GoldenThreadposted 8 years ago in reply to this

If the websites were well established (by which I mean old) and had outdated "contact us" scripts written in perl, there may well have been security holes. I seem to remember hackers could inject code directly into the form and have the server run the code when the form was submitted, which would be very dangerous.

I think that was a problem from the olden days of the Internet, and would be very rare now.

4. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Are you worried that the same people who hacked into these official government websites to steal information are going to want to hack into your hub pages ? lol

1. profile image0

We have to be safe always...........as hacking passwords is now common

5. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

Here's a tip:

Don't use the same password on every single website you join, and don't save your passwords in your browser or on a document on your computer.

1. profile image0

Thanks

6. dingdong profile image61
    dingdongposted 8 years ago

Great tips! big_smile

7. hot dorkage profile image79
    hot dorkageposted 8 years ago

would be great if hubpages would support openid. 

Lot of government and nonprofit webs not really very secure.  What GG said, don't use your same password in lots of different sites.   

Yeah old trusting scripts that didn't filter the stuff users entered in contact forms, plus depend on what they did with it the user could conceivably inject code.  Those ancient forms are still around, and don't think that PHP or ASP is any safer just because they are newer.

working