jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Writing for about.com

1. kev8 profile image75
    kev8posted 5 years ago

Has anyone here ever written for about.com?I am looking into writing for them and was wondering if they are okay to work for with regards to pay etc?It would be on a freelance basis.

1. David 470 profile image87
      David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have not written for them, but would like to possibly in the future. If I am not mistaken, they pay you $600 a month. However, it may be difficult to become a writer for about.com and they may also be strict. Way stricter than Hubpages (obviously). And much stricter than infobarrel.

Brighthub.com is a good site to write for in terms of pay, but my current editor is quite strict and I was unable to publish an article. Brighthub pays $10 per article + Revenue Sharing. Brighthub.com is very professional as is about.com as compared to content oriented sites that do not pay upfront and only offer revenue sharing where you must produce a lot of content. Of course, sites like Hubpages, Infobarrel, Helium, and etc are more flexible, but may take longer to reap long term income rewards etc..

I would like to find out a lot about About.com because it pays consistenly and it is more professional.

1. kev8 profile image75
        kev8posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi David470,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I had never heard of brighhub,Ill check them out. Ill let you know how it goes with About.com.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've looked at them a couple of times, but you need qualifications in the field you want to write about.

2. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 5 years ago

Here, I found an author who wrote about About.com. I am not sure how accurate the information is though.

http://www.writtenroad.com/2008-06/writ … th-it.html

Personally, I would love to write for a professional site that is basically a part time writing job, but from what he said, its difficult to get into.

1. Marye Audet profile image90
      Marye Audetposted 5 years ago in reply to this

About.com requires 2 weeks of training where you are in competition with others wanting the same job.. it is not paid (the 2 weeks).  They also want you to have some credentials in your area... ie: published book, be a recognized expert in your field, etc. I believe the pay is closerto 750. a month and you get a percentage of the ad income.. but I can't say that for sure.