jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Witty headlines in the SEO age

1. Crifmer profile image79
    Crifmerposted 5 years ago

I thought this article was very interesting, and there might be other Hubbers who'd find it the same.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a … eo/238656/

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Yes, the world is getting duller every day.

I have always picked articles with witty/playful titles to read over ones with boring literal titles.

I don't find many such now, and find it a real shame.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

The problem, of course, is getting a witty title to show up higher on the SE results than a descriptive one.

4. WriteAngled profile image92

Oh, I appreciate that.

The trouble is that the price paid for the SE battle is that the world has become even greyer...

5. mrpopo profile image88
    mrpopoposted 5 years ago

I guess I'm one of the few that likes clicking on the witty articles. Being straight to the point ruins half of the fun hmm

We have to adapt though, and the title of that very article does a good job (I think) of combining a descriptive title ("Saving Witty Headlines in the Age of SEO") with a bit of humour ("Google Doesn't Laugh").

1. Michael Willis profile image77
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree that witty articles make it far more interesting. I have a few hubs that I use wit and humor to make a point. When it is political or controversial...you have a better chance in getting the reader to read it all the way through if you can get a laugh from them.

1. mrpopo profile image88
        mrpopoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm already enjoying reading your Hubs, Michael. Your Google Panda Samurai article and your desires for a redneck woman just made my day lol

I've tried to do the same with my latest Hubs by adding a bit of humour to them. I think they're even more enjoyable to write than the serious stuff, and they come more naturally.

1. Michael Willis profile image77
          Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! I enjoy writing the witty hubs far more than others. Google Panda And the Redneck woman are my 2 favorites. I also have a political one about Fema Bailouts as well as the Toilet Bowl issue.

6. WriteAngled profile image92

Yes, I suppose subtitles can help.

In my days of employment with a scientific charity, I had to research and report on an area in which an awful lot of animals are killed during the routine testing of each batch a substance that has both medical and cosmetic uses. Because of its medical uses, it could not be banned, but its increasing use for strictly cosmetic reasons meant that a lot of the animal testing was being done to ensure supplies for the latter purpose.

I titled my report: Growing old disgracefully: the cosmetic use of botulinum toxin.

I still like the play on words in the first half, which to me is the real title. However, the subtitle states quite categorically what the report is about.

working