jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

Ads with sound...

1. Bendo13 profile image85
    Bendo13posted 5 years ago

It might be a good idea to disallow ads with sound to be posted on hubs.

I just went to check a comment on one of mine and I heard a commercial so I looked around and my hub had not one but two ads playing audio.

So I clicked the mute button on both BUT you actually have to click it twice to get it to mute.  So 4 clicks later and scrolling up and down the page twice I have a quiet hub experience.

I think these ads will get people to close our hubs pretty fast.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Bendo,

When you find an ad that automatically plays and has video with sound, you need to report it to Staff.

None of the participating ad networks are allowed to have automatic play on their ads. Hubpages had this problem once before and asked for hubbers to report any that do. smile

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

If you can post more information such as the hub it was on (possibly with screenshot), then the staff usually block those type of adverts.

4. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago

Thanks, Cagsil & WryLilt. That's correct.

Bendo13: Please email adops@ with any and all details - screenshots would be ideal, but if you don't have those, then the name of the advertiser.

1. Bendo13 profile image85
      Bendo13posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll have to post info if I see it again, this was the first time I noticed it.  I can't remember what it was about.

2. Bendo13 profile image85
      Bendo13posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just got them again on my latest hub... the ads are for lysol disinfectant wipes... here's a screenshot.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5056797_f248.jpg

3. profile image0
      Multimanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OK,  Yesterday I had quite a few talking auto play ads, so how do we let staff know, do we email or what and where?

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Multiman, please read the post Jason post, which YOU replied to. Your statement makes absolutely NO sense, when you actually read Jason's post.

1. profile image0
          Multimanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I re-read, my brain is fried, I read "adops" as a name rather than signifying ad ops and was wondering where the rest of the email address was, I see its adops@hubpages.com I guess.

5. Mutiny92 profile image85
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

shoot..I have had a few of those as well, but did not think anything of it.  I will report it next time.

6. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

This thread made me go look at one of my hubs.

There were no ads on it whatsover.

I went back and looked again and there were 3.

Odd.smile

7. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Adsense is showing activity. Must have been a onetime thing.

All is well.smile

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

Wish I would have known this before, I've seen four adds that play music or tunes rather as soon as your view a hub.

9. Richieb799 profile image65
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

We need squeeky 'clean' ads, better 'wipe' them off, sorry couldn't help it lol

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good one. lol

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image91
    DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

I found one this morning myself...obnoxious as you know what.  Didn't know we were supposed to report them.

11. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
    Marina Lazarevicposted 5 years ago

Thanks for reporting the issue, everyone. I am looking into the Lysol ads specifically.

There is a FAQ entry that explains what HubPages' Ad Policy Guidelines are and what to do if you see an ad that is in violation here: http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubpages-ad-policy

It also gives instructions and links to a "contact us" form that will email your report directly to adops@hubpages.com

Remember: reporting the details of the ad beyond "it played audio" is helpful for us when detecting the ad network that is responsible.

Thanks!

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Marina, can't such ads be screened out before they appear on the site? Plus, I'm assuming your ad sales literature is clear on not allowing ads with audio to play automatically?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image84
        Marina Lazarevicposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's a good question, but it's unfortunately not as clear cut as that.

When you work with just 1 ad network, that means you might be working with hundreds of advertisers, all running different campaigns. When you work with multiple ad networks, you get that many more advertisers. Ultimately even with the most stringent rules in place, a large network inevitably will have undesirable ads sneak in. It's the nature of the game. That is why we ask for lots of details if you guys see an ad that is against our ad policy. So that we can:

1. Figure out the network that delivered the ad
        2. Contact them to figure out the advertiser that delivered the ad
        3. Have that ad specifically removed from HubPages

12. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I had too loud videos ads playing on a few of my hubs I was checking on today. They are very distracting to say the least!

working