jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Friday the 13th...What do you know....it's today?

1. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

What did you do today?

Do you have superstitions about Friday 13th?

Feel free....

I spent most of my day running errands, except for 3 hours for advertising. And, I don't have any superstitions anymore, but did when I was a kid...I guess I grew up. lol

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

slept here in san fransisco

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image91
    DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

I spent five torturous hours with a group of middle schoolers chaperoning a field trip to the zoo.  I had Friday the 13th ...in spades!

3. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

There appear to be interesting superstition differences east - west.

The main difference would appear to be that western superstitions probably have an origin in something but now are kind of random or only go back as far as the writer who included an old superstition in a story, and the original is lost.

Here in China they seem to be still linked to some basic idea (generally) or at least have an ancient story that they are associated with.  They also seem to be understood as reflecting something in ones own mind at the same time as it nods to the unknown.  For instance, when someone dies and get buried at the cemetary just up the road here, it is common practice for the relatives to drive from home to the tomb dropping firecrackers at every intersection and turning along the way.  This is to lead the dead persons spirit to its new home, I have to check out what happens at the cemetary but I expect to find little personal things left, letters or food on the new tombs.  Chinese have huge respect for ancestors but are also nervous about ghosts and don't want great-grandma hanging around the washroom in the middle of the night.

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I believe the Friday 13th superstition all began back in the middle ages with the arrest of the Templar Knights, since I'm not a Templar Knight, I don't worry about it.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

5. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 5 years ago

It didn't even sink in to me that it was Friday the 13th...wow.

It was a great day for us, though--we just got home from watching our youngest son graduate from college...a proud day for our family! smile