jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Published Authors I Need Advice!!!

1. 0
    Twenty One Daysposted 5 years ago

If you are a published author, then I need your advice.
    I am preparing to submit to various traditional houses and was approached by one house, but would very much appreciate an insiders experience/advice before taking the plunge.

a. what is the best advice for submitting the query itself (what to say or not; to include or not) especially with no 'formal literary eduction or publications'.

b. which houses do you recommend for say a Philosophy/Theology nonfiction script.

c. what kind of time line should I expect between submitting the MMS and print.

d. anything else I am not aware of, but should be.

Thank you all in advance,

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Re. a) The main purpose of the query is to demonstrate the strength of your project, namely what makes it unique and attractive for a publisher. Concerning yourself, the emphasis should be on what makes you particularly suited and/or qualified to write a good book on that topic. Publishers' websites often contain specific submission guidelines.

Re. b) I cannot say, but since you do not have a literary agent, you will need to find those select few houses that accept queries directly from new authors. Once you have been published in any form, you may find it easier and to your advantage to retain a literary agent.

Re. c) Expect at least one year, more if the review process is lengthy. It usually takes at least 6 months from contract signing until the book can go on the market; a period used for editing and various other preparations.

Hopefully, this will be of some assistance. Good luck!

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Wishing you the best of luck for acceptance.

Once accepted, if you want to ensure your book has the best chance of being taken up by academic libraries, make sure the publisher agrees to it having an index at the back!

4. 0
    Twenty One Daysposted 5 years ago

Thank you both very much!
    Will take this advice to heart and hopefully put it to good use.
    The process does seem quite tedious, but worth the effort.

Woop-woop, here we go! smile