jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

1. prairieprincess profile image95
    prairieprincessposted 5 years ago

I am wondering about social media etiquette. For example, on Stumbleupon, I see people who constantly share their pieces and are hoping you will respond, but will never respond when you put your stuff out there. As well, I have one article that has created a ton of traffic from SU, but has created very few new followers for myself.

Sometimes it seems like a one-sided street, and I am not sure if I should mention it to these people, or if that would be considered too pushy. Has anyone else had experience in this regard?

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Followers? People usually follow other people based on two things, (a) quality of effort in their work and (b) personality, either by personal contact(i.e. forums, emails, chat or other) or displayed in your writing.

Your writing speaks volumes about you, as a person. It allows people to learn about you, even if you don't realize how.

Edit: Remember followers do not always increase earnings. Even on twitter- followers are not required to create earnings. It's a social media tool for advertising your sites or articles.

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Social media/bookmarking sites have a notoriously low conversion rate. People coming from those sites are unlikely to click on adverts OR backlink to you so it's often considered empty traffic.

Twitter can get you good backlinks IF you use #tags in your posts. That means you can reach thousands of people even without a single follower - and many websites pickup and display different topical tags.

Each word you put a # in front of will put that tweet into a channel (click the word to see when you try it) and all tweets with that word tagged will appear together. So if you write:

"A guide to #writing and #publishing http://sdkfjlsjdk"

Your tweet will go into the writing and the publishing channels.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well said Wry. smile