jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Honest ideas for improvement.

1. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

Okay, you have a better idea?  Let's hear it!  No complaining, no bitching, no justifying, just plain honest suggestions to help staff deal with all the issues that have come up since Google turned the world upside down.  Don't need a lot of minutae.  Let staff winnow thru the chaff and see if there is anything they can use.
    Help them help us.  In a courteous manner.  It will pay off in many ways.

1. sofs profile image88
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It would be awesome to have ten hubs approved by admin before newbies get to automatically publish hubs .. would save admin a lot of headache later smile    Great post.. I am pretty appreciate of all their hard work smile

1. Simone Smith profile image91
        Simone Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Great suggestion, sofs.  We've definitely discussed that option - it would take more manpower than we currently have, but it is certainly something to keep in mind. 
        What we've done in the meantime is made it impossible to publish Hubs that violate some of our easier-to-track rules, and embedded more helpful tips and warnings in the HubTool.
        But perhaps this is something we would consider for the future smile

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 5 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread, logic,commonsense!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Simone, the biggest complaint from Hubbers is that we're getting good, successful Hubs unpublished for minor violations, while large numbers of really bad Hubs are still out there.

We're told the reason is that moderators haven't got to them yet.

So the fundamental thing that needs to be done, is to review the moderating process so priority is given to finding and removing the awful stuff. 

Some ideas:

1.  New Hubs that receive a flag are moderated first.

2.  Low-scoring Hubbers and low-scoring Hubs are moderated first. 

The other thing is to encourage established Hubbers to bring their Hubs into compliance, before the need for moderation arises.  This means making sure they are aware of the rules as they currently stand, which is not the case right now.  For instance, I made a fuss to get the RSS feeds and tags rules clarified, but there has never been an announcement - just an updating of existing documents, and how do Hubbers who've already read them, know they have to go back and read them again?

So I'd say - an education program, by email or by announcements, to ensure all Hubbers understand the rules AND the fact that they're retrospective (I've seen a few Hubbers comment that they only apply to new Hubs!!).

2. 69
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome Simone!
      I feel that staff and writers can benefit by sensible discourse driven by the desire to improve the quality for all involved.

3. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

1st-No more additional rules added until the existing rule changes or the stronger enforcement of existing rules are 100% completed.

2nd-Hub Staff and Moderators completely focus time on completing the issues with Hubpages before working on creating and adding "bells-n-whistle" or social features.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. 69
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree Michael, the bells and whistles can wait til the basics are ironed out.
      Some great suggestions here already!  Hopefully more are forthcoming.  Pretty sure staff will be willing to implement the best ones.

4. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 5 years ago

I think Michael brought up some good issues.  Also, define the vague terms used so that writers have a better understanding of what the rules are, especially when they are contantly changing.  Violation of a "misleading tag" doesn't say a whole lot and wastes a ton of time trying to figure it out when a simple clarification would save all parties a lot of headache.

Funny thing though that Simone would respond to this thread but no others.  Just saying

5. BobbiRant profile image80
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

If hubs using very bad English (I'm not talking the once in a while typo either) are going to receive high scores and get featured (makes HP look bad the minute Anyone comes here because the featured ones hit you right away) then I don't see a lot of it.  But I think the minor violations causing hubs to get unpublished, especially for those here a long time, should stop too.  I think many hubbers are getting tired of the inconsistency of being dinged for violations while major ones go undetected. Maybe someone to give answers to hubbers who need help, in a more timely fashion, would lead to less discouragement too. Many understand this ironing out thing to make HP better, is not an easy task for staff.  But some still go to other sites to write until all is worked out. How many hubs can be dinged before a writer gets fed up is an individual tolerance threshold.

6. sofs profile image88
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I would also like to see hubs coded in a different color if there is a warning on them .. we do not usually check all our hubs everyday... the color code will make us aware of the warning posted on the hub.
    That would help many hubbers I guess.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I just checked a hub and saw a warning about it being about MLM. I would never have noticed that if I didn't take a random look at it.

7. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

I think we're getting off topic.

Bumping to see if anyone else has constructive suggestions to improve as suggested by the OP.

8. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

Constructive criticism

remove heads from ....sand, yeah sand.

Really, its too late - but the suggestion to work towards would have been to create a traditional support ticket system.

Hub gets unpublished and then gets a higher priority to a response. The excuse that its "not manageable" and randomly quoting author figures doesn't fly, make it work, make it happen, excuses are for children.

They dont have as many active authors as they claim - if they ran IP comparisons, whittled out all the proxies and public servers for dupe spam accounts, regular spam accounts, legitimate dupe accounts and abandoned accounts, the author base number wouldnt be that impressive.

Figure out how many hubs can be moderated in a workday and never unpublish more than can receive proper support. Dont unpublish prior to a weekend if you are to be shortstaffed.

Also, offer apologies and an increased revenue share for a bonus period as a symbolic gesture for the mishandling.

9. Victoria Stephens profile image82
    Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago

I'm aware that hubpages are already looking into this, but thought I'd mention it here too.  It would be brilliant if hubpages had a storage/hosting place for files such as pdf files etc.x

10. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Perhaps the staff would consider engaging any willing Hubbers who have a bit of time, to do the screening of hubs that have been flagged, rather than just hub-hopping and flagging, and leaving the dirty work to the over-burdened staff.

In other words, giving a select number of responsible Hubbers the authority to fully assess questionable hubs in much the same way the staff already does.

This would lighten the load on the staff, and would get the garbage pile whittled down much faster, and keep it to a minimum thereafter.  This would help the whole community, I think.