jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

I think I tore my calf muscle

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if it's just a pull or torn muscle but yesterday when I was walking down some stairs at work I got this shooting burning pain in my calf( in the back of leg between my foot and knee)when I was stepping down.
    Went to work today but had to leave because I can't walk right. There is a bruise at the bottom where the muscle starts.

Any advice or tips??I don't have time for this!!!!

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

that's must really be painful..
    I would advise you to use an ace bandage and try not putting weight on the leg...time heals all wounds..wink

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

A frequent tip given to runners is to keep applying ice packs whenever possible. A bag of frozen peas will do.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Dorsi,

A pulled muscle is a lot different than a torn muscle. If you believe that you have torn the muscle, then please consult a doctor.

If it is just a pulled muscle, then try soaking in a hot bath, so as to release(relax) your muscles. A pulled muscle will heal itself. A torn muscle needs more attention.

Either way, please be safe. smile

1. Dorsi profile image90
      Dorsiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Stacie and WriteAngled) Thanks! On my way to the freezer now! And the bandage sounds like a good idea.
      Cagsil) How would I know the difference? It felt like a hot bullet went in the back of my leg...
      I may need a trip to the dr.....sigh....

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Dorsi, I would have it checked out to ensure more damage was not done than you think. I always say it's better to be safe than sorry. I can understand about visiting doctors, especially since most of them are nothing but a pain in the a$$.

But, at least an x-ray would be able to tell the difference. If you actually torn it, then I don't think you would be able to put any pressure on it at all versus a pulled muscle is something you can limp upon carefully. wink