jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)

Could "Google Wallet" one day replace Paypal on Hub Pages?

1. Cheeky Girl profile image85
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

Google are currently being sued by Paypal over allegations that the negotiators involved in a business deal with Paypal that went sour - switched sides and now work for Google and that the new people allegedly brought some of the Paypal secrets of how it works with them over to Google.

So my question is - when the dust has settled, and since most of us have Gmail accounts and Google Adsense, will we one day find ourselves using the Proposed "Google Wallet", the way by which we might pay for things in the future with an Android Phone? COuld it eventually replace Paypal on Hub Pages? Any thoughts on this?

1. 2besure profile image83
      2besureposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I heard about that!  Google is low down and dirty.  That is why I started using Bing.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

It might not replace PayPal, but I can see HP adding as a method of payment. wink

3. Cheeky Girl profile image85

Ray, I agree. I think it might be entirely possible! Everything is becoming more "Google-ized" somehow! It's turning out to be maybe one of those years!

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

There is something basically WRONG in having the main company online paying you for carrying adverts being the same company that decides how your site ranks in the bigger scheme of things.

I'm with Paypal.

Hope they win, and stop those plans in the making.

I do not like monopolies.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me neither.  I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Paypal - they're just like eBay, fine when everything's going well, but a nightmare to deal with if anything goes wrong. 

However,I'd rather stick with them than let Google rule the world!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

5. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I heard a bit about this on the radio, but don't know enough about it to offer an opinion one way or the other.
    I will hang around here and learn some more. smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this
    2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you IzzyM. Now I'm up to date. smile

6. David 470 profile image86
    David 470posted 5 years ago

I heard about GoogleWallet on the news recently. What is it precisely?

At first I thought it was a similar program to adsense or something.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Hi Cassy,

Google bought Youtube and have issues with copyright and piracy etc.. They tried to buy Groupon and Twitter but they were not successful. They have their own version of Groupon coupon, Google Coupon. They were outbid by Microsoft when they try to buy stakes in Facebook (their mistake). They also bought stakes in AOL at a high price (1B I think)which has low value now (almost one fourth of 1B)! I read this somewhere, I can't remember.

I think the problem with G is that they try to monopolize everything in the Internet - being greedy is all.

Now Paypal is suing them, although you can't blame people when they want to work for Google. Competition is good, so that Paypal can gather its acts.

8. codehub profile image61
    codehubposted 5 years ago

No thanks

9. Cheeky Girl profile image85

H'mm. So far it seems there is a wee bit of an anti-Google feeling. Most interesting! There is also the consideration that PayPal are only dominant in one industry, that of electronic payment, while Google strive to achieve in a variety of industries. And they also have the Google Checkout system too, which is a shopping cart system, that rivals Paypal. I look forward to more interesting comments! Cheers, everybody!

10. Doctor Kristy profile image79
    Doctor Kristyposted 5 years ago

I hate google's monopoly too... makes my skin crawl. I assume everyone's heard about the new google laptops too?

But paypal has been greedy and dodgy for years in my opinion. I remember I used to sell little items on ebay and then eBay made it compulsory to include paypal as a payment option. Everyone used it, and everytime paypal took a big chunk out of my money. sad

Plus, one time I received quite a bit of money through paypal, and it didn't even SHOW UP for three days. I'm convinced they were investing it to make a quick buck.

If paypal are finally getting their comeuppance, I'm thrilled, and can't WAIT to stop using them forever.

11. Pamela N Red profile image91
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

I would like to see someone give Paypal some competition but hate to see it be Google. They seem to have their hand in every pie.

12. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

Google is like a necessary evil. So many ppl are invested in them somehow, yet they do control so much that it makes me sick. Son in law works for the big G and grosses $7,000 a month! He can't quit, even if he hates them, it's like  prostitution, you can't afford to get out of it.