jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

People who emit strange sounds.

1. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

When I was a kid, a friend and I downed a flagon of cheap wine and hit the road hitch-hiking.

We got a couple of short rides, then were offered a lift with a guy in a modern car who was going all the way to our destination.
    As soon as we got back up to traffic speed he started to talk. When he spoke he interrupted his own speech by blowing raspberries in between and even mid word, while his body and head seemed to move uncontrollably!
    After having to grab the wheel so that he did not kill a motorcyclist coming the other way, needless to say, we lied to him and got out of the car at the first opportunity telling him we were going to visit a friend.
    I wondered and still do, at how he was able to speak normally when he wound down the window and said "I'm going as far as Traralgon" (our destination) and then while driving had so little control over his faculties, and apparently no idea of the danger he posed to himself and other road users.

20 years later, I was in a restaurant at a meeting of people who were networking in my field of endeavour at the time.
    A nice young couple joined us at the table. We were having an interesting conversation around the table in which they participated, displaying good judgement and intelligence.

One of my associates who is a stand up comedian (aren't we all?) said something funny.
    The young lady laughed. The sound was like a donkey braying through a megaphone! The restaurant became instantly silent. Neither of them seemed to notice.

Are these symptoms of uncommon illnesses?

On both occasions I found it difficult not to be embarrassed by this unusual behaviour, and from the experience in the restaurant it seems others had difficulty with one of our fellow humans emitting a sound not sanctioned by the pack.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Diane Inside profile image89
    Diane Insideposted 5 years ago

you sure the guy in the car wasn't pulling your leg. lol

having a laugh at your reaction?

Any way I used to have lunch with a group of fellow co-workers, and one of them had terrible table manners. She picked at her food with her fingers, it didn't matter what kind of food it was, making her fingers rather disgusting in the process. She also smacked her food while chewing, it was like noone taught her how to chew with her mouth closed. This was rather disgusting as well.  Even if she weren't taught by her parents you would have thought that she would have picked up on social cues that this is not acceptable. Being an occupational therapist I also noticed that she held her fork like a child would in her fist. I pointed it out discreetly trying to be helpful but she didn't take the hint and never changed. I really felt sorry for her because most of the others just talked about her behind her back.

I wonder if people we think are weird for doing things differently, if they also think we are weird. lol

3. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Sounds like the driver dude had Tourettes Syndrome.
    The donkey laughing lady -- someone should teach her to control her mirth. We can relearn our laughing...

earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is what it's called? Is that like Parkinson's disease?
      I did not understand the young lady or her partner. They seemed not to notice a sound that would stop a riot! lol

4. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

The first guy makes me think somewhat of Tourette's Syndrome, although I haven't heard of raspberries being a usual sound produced.  I do think there is some variety among those who have it though.

The donkey bray -?  Whoa!!  I'm not sure what to say about that one, other than that it sounds so unique she ought to find a way to market it, rather than make people suffer when they hear it!  lol  lol  lol

earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It was an astonishingly loud laugh, loud enough to quiet a whole restaurant!
      A donkey through a loud hailer describes the sound pretty well.

The young lady was immaculately groomed about 23 and a knock down gorgeous blonde with beautiful eyes. Maybe her less attractive partner was in the relationship because of that, he was no oil painting.

As lovely and smart as she was, I could not live with that laugh..

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh you've painted a very vivid picture, and I have to laugh every time I imagine it!  Although I'm sure that being in the presence of it, I would react as others did: completely dumbfounded.

Sometimes I'm amazed to hear the sound of a specific person's laughter.  I have to wonder how it ever came about - probably started so early in life that it would be hard to pinpoint.  But Mighty Mom mentioned that we can relearn our laughter.  I haven't actually heard of anyone doing so, but it certainly sounds plausible, probably like a specialized form of voice lessons.

I guess the real question would be how to tell the offending person?  I mean... "Honey, there's something you need to know... Ummmm..... ????"  Actually, it sounds like a pretty good setup for a short story.

[snort --- bray -- HEE-HAW-HEE-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA] lol

5. Aficionada profile image93

Tourettes is a somewhat unusual neurological disorder that is characterized by uncontrolled "vocalizations" which are often squeaks and grunts, but which may also be outbursts of profanity or similar unintended (and inappropriate) words.  - Not to say that everyone who overflows with profanity has Tourettes. - It's the fact that the sufferer has no control over it that is significant.

6. Aficionada profile image93

Here's a good article about it (and I learned that it is "Tourette Syndrome" with no -s or -'s big_smile):

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tour … urette.htm

And one little paragraph from the above that may explain the guy's ability to speak clearly through the window, but then resort to the strange sounds and movements later:

"Can people with TS control their tics?

Although the symptoms of TS are involuntary, some people can sometimes suppress, camouflage, or otherwise manage their tics in an effort to minimize their impact on functioning. However, people with TS often report a substantial buildup in tension when suppressing their tics to the point where they feel that the tic must be expressed. Tics in response to an environmental trigger can appear to be voluntary or purposeful but are not."

7. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

Thanks Aficionada, that is a very good explanation of what took place. smile