jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Algorithm being nasty to me!

1. StuartJ profile image78
    StuartJposted 8 years ago

The Hub Algorithm wacked my Hub on Amazing Grace:

It was effectively accusing me of pliagiarism and I was initially very annoyed. I was on the point of demanding it opologise or step outside, when I realised that the "duplication" it has detected must be the lyrics of Amazing Grace that I posted.

I don't think the lyrics are copyright, so this illustrates a problem that could occur with anyone posting song lyrics or famous quotes. I accept that it may not be able to improve the algorithm in a way to solve this problem, and the review process, which I've applied for, may be the best we can do.

More of a problem is that a number of my link heavy Hubs have had warnings attached to them. Some, I grant, could be improved, which I'll gradually try to do, but an example is this one:

While it is mainly links it was once one of my best rating Hubs and something similar on Squidoo has always ranked way ahead of my other Squidoo Lenses. It is also the Hub/Lens that I get the most public reaction to and the most thanks for providing.

I've been away for a while and wonder who I email to get a human to review these. I understand why the algorithm has hit them and aren't really angry about it, but there is no link with these to get them reviewed.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

In cases like these, you can request a manual review, which you did.  Provided you have original content, and the entire hub isn't one big long quote, I will check the dupes and then, if needed, put in a manual override, certifying the hub original.

The problem here is not that you have too many links, but too little content.  If you add a few paragraphs of introduction, that warning should disappear.  In general, we do not want people just building a hub full of links alone.

That would be me!  Julie-Ann's kindly provided the email address above.  Unfortunately, these automated warnings cannot be "cleared" since they are automatically generated, but you can always feel free to email me about why they might be appearing.

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image52
        Julie-Ann Amosposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Sorry MaddIE remembered the email but not the name.

2. StuartJ profile image78
        StuartJposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thank you,

Well, it does have one paragraph of introduction, although little else execpt an Amazon module. I have a feeling I may be able to fool the machine by including more modules and using them to creat dividers or whatever. But I don't really want to do that.

I may take up your kind invitation to email you, since this may not apply to many others and there is little point in clogging up the forums futher.

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image52
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 8 years ago

Email Maddy at team@hubpages.com.  Hope that helps!

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

You can request a human review of a duplicate content determination by simply clicking the link next to the warning at the top of your hub.  It may take as much as 48 hours for us to get to it (depending on the time of day and week), but as long as your use of quoted material is reasonable we will remove any penalty and your HubScore will begin to recover immediately (it moves in small steps though).

There is a distinct difference between what we call duplicate content -- appearing elsewhere on the web, and plagiarism -- to use another's production without crediting the source.   One does not imply the other.  Plagiarism on HubPages is handled through the DMCA procedure.  Duplicate content is detected automatically and handled through a reduction in HubScore and Hubber Score (when detected chronically).

Edit: Maddie answered this while I was typing.  smile

1. StuartJ profile image78
      StuartJposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I did request the human review. I take it the warning being removed means the hub is cleared. I do realise the difference between plagiarism and duplicate content, I was attempting to be humorous about the algorithm.

I take the concept of "Fair Use" to mean I can quote a couple of paragraphs provided I attribute, and, if possible link to, the original.

4. adrainsean profile image61
    adrainseanposted 8 years ago

i havee been there and faced it too, but thankfully i reduced the number of tags and changed titles, added some more contents and the flag went off...
    maybe somebody is flagging ur hubs constantly .....