jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Pictures of pictures of pictures

1. Steve_1066 profile image60
    Steve_1066posted 5 years ago

Hello hubsters,

I want to use a picture of a famous painting from the 1950s. I realise that using someone else's picture would infringe copyright (usually). However, I can go to the public art gallery and take my own photograph of this painting, using this photograph in my hub.

However, suppose this painting was used on the front cover of a book I own? Can I take a photograph of this book and then use this photo in my hub without infringing anyone's rights? My book, my photo, what's the problem?

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

As long as you get the deceased owner's consent there should be no problem!smile

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

If the painting is protected by copyright, taking a picture of it for the book cover constitutes a copyright violation. The book cover contains an infringing image, and the photo of the book cover further reproduces that image, constituting a further infringing reproduction.

3. Steve_1066 profile image60
    Steve_1066posted 5 years ago

Mmm, tricky.

But suppose I were to take a picture of a friend who happened to be holding the book in her hands, casually, the book cover clearly visible?

See, it gets murkier and murkier.

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

It is unlikely that anyone would bother taking legal action over such a photo. However, that doesn't resolve the issue with the infringing first photo and book cover. Making a book cover with infringing photos isn't very professional.