Do you think Hubpages is going to file for bankruptcy?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (49 posts)
  1. 3bagsfull profile image65
    3bagsfullposted 12 years ago

I just don't see how they can survive this financial crisis

Perhaps they don't have much staff and do it out of someone's home but I really doubt that

I just looked at quantcast and compared it to squidoo and it was really eye opening

and search keeps dropping and dropping - if I'm not making any money then they can't be either

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They don't work out of someone's home, but their office is tiny.   I believe the moderators, whom I assume are temps to get them over this hump, work from home.  So their overheads are pretty low.

One thing to remember is that before Panda, HubPages was doing far better than most internet startups.  They started with a small investment compared to most,, so they don't have the crippling debt of, say, Helium (which borrowed $17 million a few years ago).  So yes, they were hit hard, but they're probably in a better position than most to weather the storm.

The question is whether they'll want to.  Before Panda, HubPages had a very successful business model, working in synergy with internet entrepreneurs who were more than just writers.  That collaboration produced highly profitable Hubs.

The new rules has meant the end of that collaboration.  Whether the site can get back to profitability with just writers is something they'll have to work out.  I wonder how long they've given themselves to decide whether the new strategy is working?

P.S. I should point out I don't mean to be disparaging by referring to "just writers".  What I mean is, in my experience, "just writing", however good you are, isn't enough to make money on the internet.  Misha once said making money online was 10% writing and 90% other stuff, and I'd say he's right.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

They're still ranked 106 according to Quantcast. While not the position it once had, it's still a respectable ranking out of the millions of websites.  They do have a small staff, but it's run out of an office in downtown SF. I don't think bankruptcy would be in the plans at this stage. Diversification may be in their game plan. All successful ventures at different stages of their growth must change and adapt. I'm sure HP will figure it out. It's only been since late February, things don't change overnight.

Some have gone on to make their own sites and onto other places.
    But ranking and viewers take a while to build, and a lot of work.

As far as Squidoo, I have to say, whenever I've done a search, I hardly ever see a squidoo article in the search results.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Drivel

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

whatever..  it's my opinion.  Time will tell.

I'm off to go 'soak up the sun'.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
          Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Woop de doo. LOLOLO

Opinion?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hey, you're just a sock puppet with no hubs. big_smile 

just for you EG.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ivz7cqXHKc

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

In a depressed market, negitivity breeds negitivity, so time to start talking and thinking positive smile

4. theirishobserver. profile image61

Dam sock puppets, I wish they would go get a show of their own smile

1. Sock Puppet profile image68
      Sock Puppetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you have against sock puppets. smile

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I see no reason whatsoever to think they are in financial trouble.  Most online companies use casual staff whose hours they can cut to reduce costs.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Losing 50% of your income potential has got to hurt.

Losing 50% of your income potential with a great focus on the profitable and commercial terms may be something cutting a few staff cant save you from.

The loss of just a handful of the more prominent commercial minded hubbers that were once frequent forum contributors here alone was probably a loss of around 10-20k a month.

I pulled a profile that was probably netting 1k for 50 hubs to Hubs, I can only imagine what the profiles with hundreds of successful hubs would have been netting hubs.

There is more reason to believe financial trouble then to not

http://www.quantcast.com/profile/trafficGraph?wunit=wd%3Acom.hubpages&drg=&dty=pp&gl=1yr&reachType=period&dtr=dd&width=720&country=UK&ggt=large&showDeleteButtons=true&v=-99908857

If thats not trouble! ..then they were making out like bandits before

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Losing 50% of your income is a pretty common event for a small business.  The only thing I would take as evidence of financial trouble would be... evidence of financial trouble.

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Considering that 50% of US small businesses fail, I would agree that its a pretty common event, Recovering from it, I imagine, less common

Im only guessing, of course - but some of the vocal earners that left would have had been earning as much as several hundred casual users. Traffic may have dropped an estimated 50% (figures could be off) but the loss of potential from the unique skills they had isnt as easily quantifiable - Id guess since Its free to do so and all - that HP is at about a 30% profit potential after the commercial/spam raids and alienation on internet marketers - not merely 50% as suggested by the graph

some of the drop is seasonal so the graph is overly dramatic on first glance

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have thought about this a lot and a simple graph of "number of views" doesn't tell the whole story.  I know of at least 4,000 hubs that were deleted from a few accounts for low quality, but each of those authors had over 1,000,000 views.  I extrapolate that to mean that a large number of the views sacrificed will hopefully lead HP out of the Google doghouse.

While some of those lost views will certainly hurt in the short run, I am crossing my fingers that the long term gain will more than make up for it...

I hope...

8. theirishobserver. profile image61

Steady as she goes smile

9. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

This is a very scary concept. Everything changes and it would seem that HP is experiencing some growing pains. It may sound a bit Polly-Anna but, support and loyalty may prove to be helpful in such a situation. I believe they are really trying to make this one of the best sites again, just give it time. I agree with Mutiny--
    HubPages staff has to want recovery a lot more than we do, don't 'cha think?
    With that said; I am crossing my fingers!

I think they do.

10. sunforged profile image70

I was just responding to the OP and early comments. "File for Bankruptcy" is a pretty big assumption. But FUBAR isnt much of a jump.

Is the new Hp worth the same the loyalty that the old Hp engendered?

SF - I guess it depends on where you sit.  I miss the old HP.  I am glad they are getting rid of the spammy hubs, but I think they have "thrown the baby out with the bathwater."

Too many of the older hubbers are frustrated and have either left or quit publishing.  Those were the exact folks who could have helped to reinvigorate the climate here and spearhead a resurgence. 

I suspect a new generation of hubbers will come in and assume the leadership roles of the lost hubbers. 

As for their finances...who knows?  We are not privy to their books, nor should we be.  It is safe to say that their increase in staff and that associated cost shows that management is confident in the future.

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would you mind spelling out what FUBAR stands for?

hehe - F$#^'d up beyond all recognition.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Really??? I really never knew though I suspect I have seen the acronym before.

2. quotations profile image88
        quotationsposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      3. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

NO, you don't want that IzzyM!

Fubbed Up Beyond All Recognition is as close as you need to go. lol

3. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@SF- you make a good point regarding the worthy nature of loyalty to the new HP; however in my humble opinion loyalty is simply loyalty. That is what makes it such an important  and vital path to survival and recovery in any situation. The real failure with HP current condition (strong writers leaving) would seem to be directly related to the loyalty concept. With loyalty comes success as well as integrity.
      But I do understand the need to keep the bills paid when it is all said and done.

11. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Well, people I don't think HP is FUBAR. According to http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com is it still No. 108 which although dropped from its previous high is still better than my PR1 blog which is in position 86,730,243.

1. AliciaC profile image94
      AliciaCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Even with all the problems that have occurred lately, HubPages still has a far higher quantcast number than the other sites that I write for and my articles have a far better chance of being indexed by Google, or of being indexed in a reasonable position, at HubPages. I understand that this is no consolation for people who used to earn a lot of money from HubPages before Panda or before the changes that HubPages is making, but I don’t earn much from online writing, so any benefits that I can get from one site compared to another one are important to me.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Panda has knocked me back six months, that is all. Only six months ago I finally got a grip of how powerful HP was, and learned how to write for search engines (not that I always put it into practice).

So some of those incredibly lucky people whose hubs got thousands of hits a day are upset because their views have dropped from 20,000 to 10,000 a day feel that is a reason to walk??

I would be over the moon if ANY of my hubs got 1,000 visits a day!

12. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Loyalty goes both ways.

1. K9keystrokes profile image83

Absolutely agree with you Mutiny on the tide principle regarding loyalty. Personally, I do feel a sense of loyalty from the encounters I have incurred with the HP staff/team/community. Other than this very serious Panda-emic of late, HubPages has done what they said they would do--loyally.
      I do see where it can feel otherwise when looking at diminishing numbers in stat reports; even making the most loyal writers cringe a bit. For me though, I have to maintain my faith that the team is working hard to rectify all that has gone nutty. These are some very tense times and we have to rely on one another in more ways than before. We feel overwhelmed, and I am most certain that the hard working HP team does as well.

13. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

HP do seem to have shot themselves in the foot by pissing off loyal members. They even had a go at Marisa Wright, after she stood by them. After they had pissed off even more successful long term members.

I must agree it was disappointing to see MW leave.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was disappointing to see many excellent hubbers being shunned by staff. Not only was it disappointing, but quite rude.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought so too - meanwhile there is still so much crud published while those that have been mentors have been picked on for petty issues

2. K9keystrokes profile image83

Possibly no rude intent on HP part, just simply overwhelmed with new tasks? I do see the point here. It's nothing good for any of us to say the least.
          Any one holding a magic wand they are willing to wave over this situation?
          My heart breaks when I think about some of my mentors who have left, I have much respect for each of them who stayed, and for those who had to make the hard choice to leave. :{

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I'm not gone yet, either!

I'm not going to delete my surviving Hubs because most have a link to one or more of my websites.  Those links are valuable because they have 'age'.  I may be annoyed at HubPages, but I'm not going to lose a valuable asset just to make a point.

What I am doing (when I get around to it) is cutting down the length of those Hubs to 400-500 words and re-using the surplus material on a variety of other rev-sharing sites - which means I no longer have all my eggs in one basket.

I have unpublished a few Hubs which have never done any good in two or three years and am going to try them on some different sites, too.

SOOOO glad to see you pop by MW!

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was alarmed that someone said you had gone.  You've been a valuable mentor.
          Do you have to allow a period of time to pass before you can use the surplus material so it doesn't come up duplicate?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

If it's gone from HP then the Hub won't get a duplicate warning.  I'm not so concerned about it otherwise.

I know duplicate content isn't recommended and I know people say material hangs around in the Google cache for a long time, but in my experience that's not so. 

Some time ago, I deleted an old blog.  A week later, I posted the posts to another site which didn't allow duplicate content, and I had no problem.  And I know they really checked, because I accidentally posted an article from somewhere else, which was  still published, and they picked it up straight away.

I think it depends how often the old version is crawled. Maybe someone who knows can explain how it works?

14. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

They haven't completely pissed me off yet. I only have one hub doing well and if it becomes unpublished tomorrow, I might well walk, but until that happens, I am staying loyal.

I for one would be very bummed to see you leave Izzy! I enjoy your work very much.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Mmmmmwwaahhh! A giant kiss just for you, my friend!

15. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Bankruptcy? No.

16. sunforged profile image70

Quantcast numbers means nothing if the way you present your information or commercial opportunities is crippled and/or editorial/moderation is vague and uncommunicative.

In my personal experience since Panda and HP's reaction, its easier then it ever was to rank to a new site. HP is easy to outrank now.(term by term, niche by niche)

The massive amount of content and promoters will always keep it well trafficked, but is it ranking well enough for the tradeoff one makes in profit potential, creative control and such.

It hasnt been long enough for my own tests quite yet, but early signs are that publishing on HP is detrimental to an articles success compared to self publishing or guest posting on "non-slapped" rev share or traditional sites.

I concur.  My new sites are getting a LOT more views than my newly published hubs on similar topics.

2. Smart Rookie profile image59
      Smart Rookieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can back you up on this.

Two days ago they unpublished an article of mine for moderation because of "Free downloads" (the hub was about MS Office templates.)
      Four hours later, they republished it after "clearing it for publication."

Yesterday, they sent me another email about it saying that it was unpublished again for the same reason as before. Both emails started with "You recently made changes to your hub.." but I hadn't. The only changes I've made to any of my hubs over the last two months was in an effort to be in compliance with their rules.

A few hours later, I got a fourth email saying it had been unpublished for linking to "unrelated" hubs. It had an RSS feed with articles based on technology. It may be a bit broad, but unpublishing it for that reason seemed pretty arbitrary.

So, in summary, they sent me four emails about one article, the first to announce unpublishing it for review, the second to announce it was cleared and republished, the third for the same reason as the first, and the fourth to announce unpublishing it for an entirely different reason.

I've drawn my own conclusions.

17. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

We live in hope. The Alexa ranking is still slipping away rather quickly.

Starting at a rank of 74 a few months ago it has slipped to 265.

What is a bit worrying is that the slip has accelerated to the point of losing a position a day in the last 2 days.

Bankruptcy?

Not unless the business has been very badly handled fiscally, which I doubt.
    Seed capital is hard to get for any business, and it would have been careful to cover it's ass on startup in my opinion.

18. iyoung03 profile image73
    iyoung03posted 12 years ago

I would think that their business plan would allow for lolls and slow times.  I know that changes in February have caused some issues, but that's where adaptation and restrategizing come in, which I am sure the owners of hub pages are doing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)