jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Allowing/disallowing Hub comments with commercial links

1. MJFenn profile image34
    MJFennposted 5 years ago

I have had a comment on one of my hubs (the comment itself is kid, and fine!) which I have not yet approved, because the comment includes seems to include a commercial blog link.

I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but I don't want my hub inadvertently to be marked overly promotional because of what someone else has posted on it.

Any advice?

(I really am open to guidance and wisdom; my wish is to make a real success of Hubpages opportunities, keeping within the guidelines.)

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've never had an issue with this - I've approved dozens of comments where they linked to a site as requested when a non-member comments. All comments are no-follow anyway.

2. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Allowing a comment will not make your hub overly promotional. It is your take, if you want to let that comment be or not.  If  the comment adds value to  the hub you may decide to let it be, if you are not overly concerned about the backlink which I have read is no follow anyway .

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I use this method as well.  I've had a few comments with links imbedded that I felt were of value to the hub and have approved them.  I've had others that were obviously left only to gain the backlink and I always delete those.

I don't mind scratching your back when you scratch mine, but if you're too lazy to help my hub some small amount I don't need your link on it.  Mean, maybe, but that's the way I've gotten in my old age.

On the other hand, there was the guy that left an embedded link to his site promoting the same kind of product.  And then copied the hub and posted it whole on his own site!  Really got irritated at that one!

1. sofs profile image87
          sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't approve any with any links because I don't want to be bothered having to click on them to see what they are, and I don't want to have to worry that they'll be something I don't want on there if I don't click.  Besides, it just irks me to have people leave links because I don't leave links on anyone else's stuff.

I've disabled comment boxes on most of my Hubs because as much as so many of the really meaningful ones mean to me (not in terms of activity on the Hubs, but in terms of people's sharing some of the things they do), comments were getting to be a part-time job (mostly because the Hubs I have that tend to get the most comments are about serious/depressing things in life, and I can't just not-respond to some of those.  I'm earning less with HP ads now, and I don't know if it has something to do with that; but it's worth it if it does (at least for now).   smile

1. MJFenn profile image34
      MJFennposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for all the comments.