jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Update on Following Forum Topics

1. Ari Lamstein profile image77
    Ari Lamsteinposted 6 years ago

On Monday we released a new feature where users are able to follow forum topics more easily.  (The original forum topic is here). 

While many users loved the new feature, there was one problem that emerged very quickly: users who subscribe to very active forum topics were getting too much email.

We immediately began working on a solution, and believe that last night we rolled out a new version of this feature which addresses these problems. 

Over the next week we plan to roll out several additional tweaks to "auto following" which will hopefully improve everyone's experience even more.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Thank you Ari. smile

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Ari.  It's going back on right now - we'll see if works better for me this time around. smile

Ari Lamsteinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for giving it a second chance Wilderness.  Please let us know how it works out this time.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't see any difference - I still get an email for every post on the thread.  Or at least I guess I do - I certainly don't get emails only when someone replies directly to my post.  The inbox still fills up albeit perhaps a little slower.

I used the emails to know when someone replied to me, but that just isn't possible now with the volume of emails.  The only way I can know is to individually check each post I've made lately.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Ari Lamsteinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Wilderness,

Thanks for the feedback.  While the changes were generally successful, there were a few bugs where people were still getting more email than they'd like: I think that we managed to track these issues down and hope that they will go out with our next site update.

Also, this next update will have a change that many users have requested: we will notify you of all direct replies to your posts, and only email you occassionally if there are other posts that we think will be of interest to you.

4. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 6 years ago

My email was busting at the seams with every comment made in forums I commented on. Thanks for the tweak.

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

"we will notify you of all direct replies to your posts, and only email you occassionally if there are other posts that we think will be of interest to you." Yea that would help. I canceled all my hubpages email because I can't figure out how to get into my hubpages email settings i.e. the security questions, which I don't know the answers at all.

working