jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)

Don't want any trouble....

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

...but...I have a question about "language," as in 'bad,' 'vulgar,' 'disallowed,' etc.

Am I allowed to use the word 'bastard' in the context of "...English is a bastard language..."  ... (really the most accurate description....while keeping the terminology simple, as some "outside traffic" readers may not be familiar with words such as "mélange.")

I don't want to publish, then get UN-published and/or find a warning...so, asking in advance of publication....

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Gasp!  Go right now and wash out your mouth with soap!  smile  There are fundies who read these forums, you know!  smile

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

rofl...well, what I have to say to/about the 'fundies' is most certainly not printable..    lol

2. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

An interesting question. smile I have published the famous poem "The bastard from the bush" which has language that can curl toenails and it has been up a long time, so with adsense disabled I think it is still OK. smile

3. johndwilliams profile image85
      johndwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would tend to think you mean American English is a Bastard language? But I am from England so you can assume my prejudices smile

LOL indeed, prejudice with honour, I presume?  wink

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image90

WHAT happened in my original post??????  Apparently, HP does not lilke words that have accent marks involved???  I correctly copied and pasted the lower-case "e" with 'accent acute' from my character map, and instead of "melange" with the proper accent, it came out with some crazy other characters obscuring the word!
      Are 'special characters' filed under "bad language" to be censored and disguised, much like a blackout block over an interview subject's face????  wink  neutral

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

hahaha  I wondered aobut that, but thought that you'd just finally gone round the bend like most of us do around here, eventually!  and as for bastard, as long as you're not calling anyone we know or me one, don't worry!  We're supposed to keep everything clean so in case some 6 year old reads what we write (!) they won't go cryiing to mommy.  Even though, this is supposed to be an adult - 18 & over site!  go figure.  Still with some of the barely disguised _________ that gets published  - any 6 year old who ventures into these dens of iniquity will get a real good edjimication!

5. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some language is alright.  Most "bad words" will be allowed unless you are attacking someone.  There is also a limit on how much you can put in a single hub.  I've read a hub that had f****** in it and was never unpublished as far as I know.  Adult language is ok just be careful on the amount and how you use it.

2. GoingOnline profile image60
    GoingOnlineposted 5 years ago

Play it safe! wink

English is a language born out of wedlock and never officially recognized as offspring by his father, who probably was a viking of some sort or the other.

Reminds me of an article I read once, when somebody in a film was described several times as "angry female dog of unclear breed and foggy origins"

@ GoingOnline:  Hahahaha!!  that reminds me of the old story about the elderly Quaker lady, who was drving down the road when her car was rear-ended by a fellow in a truck. 
      As Quakers most certainly did not cuss, and still used the archaic "thee/thou" contructions.... when the fellow was not very polite about the incident, she retorted, "When thee gets back to thy kennel, I hope thy mother bites thee!"

3. Pamela Sarzana profile image59
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 5 years ago

Going Online- rofl

4. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I'm fairly sure I have used the word bastard on the odd occasion.  I think if the word is within sensible context of the page then it is OK. 

edit: Search hubs for the word.  There are more than a few...

5. Just Ask Susan profile image86
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

I just recently told a joke in one of my hubs and "Bastard" was is it.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Thank you all so very much.  I believe I will leave it as it stands, then...it would seem to be safe enough.  wink

7. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Try typing in the box like this:

m alt+130 l a n g e  (without the spaces, of course).
    =
    mélange

It could have to do with the typestyle you were using when you copied and pasted - possibly.

ah...ok, thank you very much.  I have my character map set to Arial font, which is my default choice for MSWord.  wink
      I don't know what font HP uses here...

8. 0
    Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago

This use of the word bastard is perfectly legitimate, even though the word is often used to imply illegitimacy.

9. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

I absolutely love your avatar pic Dzy!

Thanks, mega1 .. that was taken by my younger daughter on an outing to a 'corn maze'  with the grandkids last Halloween season.  ;-)

2. Lisa HW profile image80
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I second that.  It's very nice and "alive" and real- looking.   smile  (and a good photo too)

Thanks, LisaHW--my daughter is indeed an excellent photographer!  wink

working