jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Moving Content Off HubPages

1. tritrain profile image78
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

As content is flagged from one lame reason or another, publishing and republishing (over and over and over), I have come to the conclusion that HubPages is not a good place for my work.

I think we should all question if our time and energy is worth risking with HubPages ambiguous, back & forth moderation.

Is it worth spending hours researching and writing a Hub, only to have it unpublished?

I don't think so.

How do you say boycott...?

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you spend hours researching a hub, as I have done frequently, and it is unpublished under the new rules,  you can either bring it into compliance or move it elsewhere.

Good content is always welcome someplace, whether here or someplace else.

Think about it Tritrain, is bringing it into compliance going to make you money? Lose you money?

Make your decisions from that.

Everybody is different here. Some people don't write for money. Some people are still learning. Yet others write for exposure or for pleasure.

Each and every person who finds themselves falling foul of the new rules, which aren't very clear anyway, needs to make their own decision.

I'm staying, but I'm also broadening my horizons.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Tritrain, the new rules are pretty clear now, so if you write something now you won't break any rules and so you won't have a problem, will you?

The problem with old Hubs has been the poor implementation of the rules as they were introduced, plus the fact that moderators are overworked and are making mistakes.  It is annoying and I have been furious about it a few times myself, but let's keep calm and take a sensible view.

You've been here two years, so many of your Hubs will have good "age", which counts for something on the internet.  You'd be disadvantaging yourself to remove any of them, unless they've never earned well.  If you have any more unpublished, fix them and submit them for republication - so long as they're approved within a day or two, they won't lose their Google rank. 

By all means, take this opportunity to widen your horizons:  join other revenue-sharing sites, start your own sites, spread your work around.  That's always been good advice but it's something I've been guilty of ignoring myself, since I liked the HP community so much.

3. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

how about linking from your hubs to elsewhere?

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Boycott HP? If that is what you feel like doing, then do it.

If you feel your stuff isn't respected here, then move it. HP has made changes that they feel is going to create a better site. If you do not agree then move your stuff.

But, to mention boycotting HP isn't the smart step. Just a thought.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

It seems to me that the HP team is really trying to make the site better, including introducing new advertisers, such as Bing. So for now I am staying. To boycott or not is everyone's decision, but should be considered carefully and not impulsively.

4. Rosie2010 profile image82
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I've been here seven months!  Wow!  Time surely flies when you're having a great time.  But honeymoon is over, and I'm getting a little frustrated.  I empathize with your problem as I just got one of my hubs unpublished for being substandard.  I emailed HP because as far as I was concerned, it was a good hub and it had a hubscore of 84 (now 78).  HP emailed me back pointing exactly what was wrong with the hub.  I started editing but I lost interest as it was not really getting a lot of views.. in seven months, it only got 196 views and most probably half was mine as I keep on editing this hub to improve traffic.  So I might just be wasting my time.  Frustration can really get to you.  Think about it though.  Is it worth your while to edit your hub or not?  I think I will move mine in one of my blogs.. it might do better there.  Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

5. 0
    cookingdivaposted 5 years ago

I can the share the feeling and frustration. My few hubs have been removed for being substandard and after editing a few times and resubmitting a few times, I too lost interest and removed hub.

6. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

I suffered a big drop in earnings here just like everyone else but I still think this is the best site on the Internet for getting your articles seen because they are picked up by the search engines and for making money. All the others I have joined I have had very poor results at so for me this is where I intend staying.