jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Domain level relevance

1. Ritsos profile image67
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

Sorry ... on a bit of a roll today aren't I :-)

Had a great name for a domain but the .com version is gone but not used ... the .org or .net domain is still available  .. wondered if it's best to get one of these or try to come up with another where a .com is available

any thoughts ?

1. registerdomains profile image67
      registerdomainsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

.net and org does the job. But the problem with these domains are,

1) Many second time visitors to your site hit .com version of your domain. e.g. if your site name is xyz.net, then majority hit xyz.com when they visit second time. So your traffic go to your competitor.

2) You have a competitor in the same name of your domain (your brand). So your competitor's brand get strong with your efforts.

Getting .com is recommended. You can get domains for second sale at sedo.com or buydomains.com

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Why would you need a .com, other than it is the most common that people associate?

1. janderson99 profile image87
      janderson99posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It depends whether you would expect users to type in your domain name to find your site. If so, then most of them will enter .com and many won't find you.
      If you expect users to find you via search, then it doesn't matter.
      I think .com has a little more authority.
      When looking for a domain name try justdropped.com or similar as this provides longer lists of what's available.
      Having your keyword in the domain name is still a bonus for ranking.
      gofindniches.com/autotool.html may help to understand this and what's available and the competition.

1. Ritsos profile image67
        Ritsosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

thanks .. It's going to be a random article site .. a bit like hubpages except just me writing so it will largely be through search and no real particular keyword for the site though obviously there will be for the topics covered ... I'll get one registered tomorrow then.

3. Ritsos profile image67
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

so for a hubpages kinda site but smaller ... which would you go for .. .org or .net  .. any preferences?

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

.com is a better "look".  I, personally, would suggest trying to get a .com.

If you can't do not get a .org unless you are an organization (non-profit).  And avoid getting a .net with the same name as a direct competitor.

5. Garrett Mickley profile image81
    Garrett Mickleyposted 5 years ago

.com, .org, and .net are the 3 that Google gives preference to.  I wouldn't use anything other than those.