jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Apparently, this is my week for being confused...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

...here I go again, with a feature I don't understand.

The new thing I just read about writing a 'summary' for one's hubs....and how in the past, HP just picked up the 1st part of the 1st paragraph to fill that function.

Now, it is suggested to write our own, targeted synopsis of the article.  I've been working on that most of this evening...it is time consuming in the extreme, because of how slowly Hub Pages page-changes load.  (with very few exceptions, almost everywhere else on the WWW, load speed is fine...it is site-specific when I encounter slow-loading--so no, it's not my OS, computer processor or browser--as it doesn't matter which browser I'm using)

ANYway...(getting tired--my last post before I call it a night--sorry--for the ramble..)

I spent all this time adding summaries; on my profile, where you can check 'more' on your hubs list, and actually read what that summary says; some have "taken" and show up; several others have not changed, and still show the original version.

Is this a glitch?

Thank you, and goodnight.  I'll check back tomorrow for my answer.  wink

1. RockerGinger profile image59
      RockerGingerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think so, mine was doing the same thing before. It doesn't sohw the newest hubs I wrote tonight, and I wrote 2. So hpoefully tomorrow the site will undergo a little maitenance and it will be worked out. smile I hope it gets straightened out for you. Goodnight!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ms Lizzy, writing a summary should be quick and easy.  The name is misleading, it should NOT be a synopsis.  It's more akin to the "blurb" which appears on a book jacket:  it should be written so as to tempt the reader to read.

The summary provides the couple of lines which are displayed when your Hub is listed on Google search results.  So it can't be very long, I believe the maximum length that will display is 156 characters.

I can't explain why some took and some didn't - perhaps, as you were tired, you forgot to click "done editing"?

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi, Marisa.. Yes, that was what I did; what I meant.  I wrote s short sentence or two...even less than is sometimes found on a book jacket.  Perhaps 'synopsis' was a poor choice of words..as I said, I was tired.

But I did not forget to click 'done editing,' as that is the only way out of the page without getting a warning about navigating away with unsaved changes..and that did not happen.

All I'm saying is some of the 'summaries' took; some did not.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You only get one week to be confused?

LOL, Rochelle... yeah, well... one week a month, maybe???  big_smile lol

2. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

The summaries sometimes take a little while to update, maybe an hour or even more.

ok, thanks, Mark--I'll check again today.  perhaps they've fallen into line overnight. big_smile