How Many Backlinks ?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Ritsos profile image41
    Ritsosposted 12 years ago

OK .. let's say that I have a main website where I really focus my work and I want to write articles for example on here and similar places .. I know there are others like excerptz and shesays (I think!), but as many of those require 300 word plus articles, that obviously takes time .... So how many articles would you write to back link to your main one for it to be reasonably effective search engine wise?

Just curious :-)

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the competition, but generally I try to get as many high-PR backlinks as possible.

Some go for quantity over quality.  They use tools to get hundreds of PR0 backlinks.

Personally I prefer Quantity of Quality. There's no defined number, just as many good ones as I can get.

One thing you can do is check the competition and see how many they have.  Then you know, a good idea is to beat them. [EDIT] What the heck does that sentence mean? What I meant to say: Then you have a good idea as to how many will beat them.

You can do this on Yahoo Site Explorer.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You certainly sound like you know a lot about it - and I definitely need to learn new sites to link from.  What in the world is yahoo site explorer?

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

In the top, type in the URL of your competition.  Example: Hubpages.com.  Click "explore URL"

Click on the Inlinks tab, then on the right on the drop downs select "Except from this domain" and "Entire site" respectfully.  As you can see for Hubpages, that makes 2,479,539 incoming links.

Of course, that's Yahoo's index, not Google's index.  And if you had 3 million backlinks it wouldn't necessarily mean you BEAT the competition, but it's a good place to start.

It takes more than just backlinks to squash your competition.

2. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

try more like 1000's of PR0 lol

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should not be so negative about writing a 300 word article in other places that give you a backlink to your articles here.

Writing a 300 words article in some other place is fairly simple, because it's almost the size of a medium size forum post. Seriously, it wouldn't take much to write a 300 words article, which you can link back to your other work.

Think of it as a positive and productive process and it will go much easier than you think. Also, SheToldMe is the site you were trying to reference. The other site would be YouSayToo, which is an option, not that I use either or them, but from what I gather, at least it would give you backlinks.

Excerptz is Ryan's site. There is also ThisisOli's TiF(ThisisFreelance) site you can use. smile

1. Ritsos profile image41
        Ritsosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sorry .. wasn't being negative and I don't begrudge writing 3 or 4 articles of that length to provide backlinks but there has to be a limit or you wouldn't get time to write original hubs ... so I suppose I meant how many article do you write to suppot a main article ... does that make more sense?

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Garrett's said pretty much everything worth saying.  The only thing I would add is that there are other ways to get backlinks besides writing articles that link up.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Blog comments, for example, where you include your url

And using links in forum signatures, which is something I do (and have a hub about for those interested in learning)

2. AskJoanne profile image77
      AskJoanneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Garrett has covered most everything. One thing I have noticed however, is that because of the abuse of blog comment spam, many bloggers are screening comments to avoid it.

Another way to get good incoming links is to use keyword-rich link text in the sidebar of your own or a friend/associate's blog. That way every new blog post generates a backlink with the keywords that are important to your site.

3. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

On a different note guys, I set up a new website around a week ago and have got over 50 PR5-9 backlinks, how long before I'm ranking for my keywords? I have another site and I guess that took around 3 weeks after I started rigorously backlinking. Do you think pinging the URLs with the backlinks will help them get crawled quicker?

Pinging is always good if you do it once.  Pinging too often looks suspicious.

4. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I just got a massive click on my new site, I haven't had much organic traffic yet though, all I can hope is this hardcore backlinking is helping, I'm sure I've already covered the cost of the domain with my Adsense earnings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)