jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

I thought I was doing everything right, yet hubscore is 26

1. Greg Sage profile image60
    Greg Sageposted 5 years ago

Ok, so i've read hundreds of posts, read about hubscore, hubkarma, guidelines for hubs, etc.

In 24 hours, I've written 7 hubs (some of which were written before but never published)... each with valuable and original information.  Most of them link at the end to other hubbers' hubs. 

I'm using pictures.

I'm getting comments.

I have 6 followers.

And yet my hubscore went DOWN from 29 to 26... and my hubkarma shows only 3.

I have purposefully written very diverse types of hubs in order to see the relationship between the topic and views, scoring, etc.

And... none of my hubs scores over 56 despite votes up, positive comments and the like.  Now, I understand some of the scoring simply takes time, but I've read a number of the 95+ hubs, and many are poorly written, and offer nothing new.  Clearly I'm missing something.

Mainly I just don't understand how I can be providing value, getting positive feedback, participating in forums and Q/A, following the guidelines for hub creation, reading other people's hubs and giving feedback, generating followers...

... and have a hubscore of 26.

2. cre8tive profile image81
    cre8tiveposted 5 years ago

Hi Greg

Firstly welcome. Secondly don't worry about your scores for the moment. Right now, according to your profile, you've been here less than a day. Both author score and hubscores start low and  work their way up - just not in 24 hours.

Give it a few days and you should start to see movement.

Greg Sageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I assumed as much, but it's the fact that it's actually gone DOWN that's a bit troubling.  The more value I've added, the lower it has sunk.

I also cant figure out why none of the hubs are scoring over 56.  They're all informative and completely original.

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Profile scores seem to drop a bit each time a new hub is published.  You've added quite a few in a short time and by doing so your score has dropped incrementally.  Nothing unusual in this.  Take a break for a few days and your scores will rise, hopefully!  smile

3. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

Hi, just forget it for a while- your score should rise exponentially as you are a good hubber- in a few weeks you will wonder why you were so worried

4. Mikeydoes profile image79
    Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago

Post and be active.. While also being helpful and typing things that matter will get your score up(seems like you will be more than fine). But lets not forget, your score is not important at all. Do not worry about it.

5. Greg Sage profile image60

hmmm... kinda feels like a credit score and each hub is a ding from a car dealership.

What's a typical starting point for a hub?  All of mine have scored between 46 and 56.  It really doesn't seem to matter what I write about, the scores are all basically the same.

Do all hubs start around this level?  Do they start closer to the hubscore of the author?  Is there something I'm doing that's got them hamstrung?

I'm asking because I'm planning on delving more deeply into musical content, but am throwing up some test flags to get the bumps worked out before setting up a blog and doing backlinks, etc.

1. Eleanor's Words profile image86
        Eleanor's Wordsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hubscores tend to start off around 50, as you have experienced. Hubs which start off with a much higher score (say 75 or so) tend to  be hubs that people have left unpublished for a while as they work on them over a period of time. The score can build before the hub is published. However, there is no need to worry about the score of a newly published hub. It really does not matter and is not a reflection of its quality.

6. Greg Sage profile image60

ok, thx.  The age thing is starting to make a little sense.

I know it's not quality, but I thought it might be some automated thing like ratio of words to pictures, or words to links, or something like that.

Whatever those guidelines are, I just want to understand them so I can incorporate them into the creation of future hubs.  The personal hubscore will be important for me in order to generate blog traffic.

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From the computer's point of view, a high activity level from a new member can be difficult to distinguish from spam. So there is a bit of distrust built in, which could cause your author score to drop temporarily. This too shall pass.

7. Greg Sage profile image60

Ok... not really worried about the time thing.  I can just accept that scoring needs to account for spammers, and has some sort of optimum activity level built into scoring model...

... but what about the content?

300-600 words, one or two pictures, and a link at the end to someone else's hub... is that a decent formula, or have I got something wrong?  I'm not set up anywhere else yet, so I don't have anything else to link to... thought I might as well use the linking to boost hubkarma.

I'm not selling anything, so not trying to generate anything with links... just trying to figure out how linking might affect hubscore.

8. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I was responding to your Original Post. Simply, you haven't been here long enough to see a clear picture. In general, I'd say 300 words sounds rather short if you aim to score well.

ok, thx.  I understand the timing bit better now, and have been reading up on word length and how it relates both to hubscore and google ranking.

I've read some pretty conflicting accounts of the other elements, though, like pictures and other modules... like what an optimal blend looks like there, and any affect on scoring for those thngs... still not sure if that factors in. 

It seems pretty clear from many posts that linking is tied to scoring, yet still not sure how to dial that element in.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome. Traffic to hubs is important for their score. Also, if many Hubbers vote it up, that may help. Some Hubbers report that their best performing hubs include useful links; I see nothing wrong with linking, as long as the links are relevant and helpful to visitors. Overall, the score should reflect the quality of the hub. Good luck with your further studies.

9. Greg Sage profile image60

Just wondering if and how the link thing is actually hardwired to the formula.

Can't help but notice that the "How to" types I wrote started off in the 50's range while the others started off in the 40's range.  I'm wondering if that has to do with key words.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Your hubs look fine to me, but I would suggest taking the headings out of ALL CAPS and into Initial Capitals.