jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Posting on HP, Blog, and Facebook duplicate?

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image85
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

I'm new here.. and I read this in the FAQ:

I feel I understand but I am one of those people that like to restate how I understand just to make sure I am understanding correctly what I think I understand. smile (I play with words like that)

So I need some input...
    I've written several poems, articles, stories etc over the years. Some have been published in magazines, papers, paper columns and even in collection books but not online ..except ...

I've put alot of my poems, stories etc on facebook in my Notes section and only my facebook friends can see them and I have never tried to index them through a search engine (that would be pointless since it's my personal facebook and it's set to private)... and I just started ...

a blog with the intent of blogging AND publishing (for the world to see) my previous writes that I've already posted on my Facebook...Then....

I found and came to Hub pages and started a Hubpage and saw that I could possibly earn money- Yay! But then...

I read in the aforementioned link that I should not write hubs that are already on the internet such as facebook, and personal blogs because I could get penalized. (not sure how or why or if I would even care. I don't really understand the whole "search engines do this and SEO that and backlinking and all that other jazz)... and finally to throw (in my mind) a monkey wrench in all this.. I'm currently trying to publish an actual book that will contain most of what I "planned" on putting on Hubpages that came from my current personal Facebook that I then had planned on putting on my blog. In my mind having one poem or article on HP and my personal Blog seemed like good exposure (I have a link to my hubpage on my blog).

So I need input:
    1. My ultimate goal is to publish my book that will contain many of the poems/stories I planned on putting on hubpages. Is there any reason I should not put content I plan for my book on hubpages? (besides the fact that people would say "why pay for a book if I can just read it online for free")

2.Should I not put the same content I place on HP in my personal blog? (I believe my blog has adsense as well) What are the ramifications and consequences if I do? What if I only do a few (respectively) instead of all? The only reason I would want to is because my blog, imo, is a little more asetically cleaner and easier to read and many of my readers would not want to link to a hubpage where they cannot leave a comment unless they sign up. (does that make sense?)

3. Do I need to remove all the content from my personal - yet private- facbook pages?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Re. 1) No problem whatsoever, a book has no bearing upon duplicate content issues online.

Re. 2) If you post the same contents on HubPages and your blog, you are asking for trouble.

Re. 3) If the search engines cannot see the material, there is no duplicate content issue in practice.

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image85
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What does that mean "asking for trouble"? Trouble from whom and why?

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you publish on the blog first, then on HubPages, this may cause your hub to be unpublished. If you publish on HubPages first, HubPages may notify you of possible copyright infringement by a third party. In this case, you may be hurting your own search engine standings.

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
          Jean Bakulaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can leave a little "Teaser" on your blog, write that you have a full article at Hubpages on the topic. I do that with my book reviews, I go on a site I like and leave a brief, one paragraph review about a book, nowhere as well written as here, in different words, and it seems to have brought some people to HP to read the whole review. Try something like that. Hope that helps.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago

...just a thought: Many magazines and newspapers won't let you republish something online that you've published through them.  I would make sure that, if you intend to republish online, that they're fine with that.  The places that I've wrote for offline won't allow me to republish online unless I change 40% of the article.  Before publishing something that was previously published offline, I would double check to make sure you don't get in trouble by the publisher.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It would pay to check what the offline publisher actually set into their contract terms.  If you retain all rights, and have simply licensed (assigned) to them 1st publication rights, then they have gotten what they paid for, and you should be ok publishing elsewhere without changing the article.  That said, be aware that this is probably not true if that magazine also publishes their content online.  This would  be true just for print-only publications.

However, if they bought out the rights, you have lost your right to re-publish it elsewhere--it becomes solely theirs.  (I think this policy sucks..I would never give up all my rights.)

If you wrote the article on assignment from the magazine, it is a "work-for-hire" situation, in which you acted as an independent contractor (employee), and never owned the rights to the piece to begin with.

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer--these are only points I learned in a class on "legal points of interest for writers" that I took years ago...before the internet was "for everyone."  Please double-check these statements before taking action.

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Urbane Chaos, that is an interesting comment, very helpful, whether or not it is directly applicable in this situation.

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Hubs need to be original in that they are not posted elsewhere on the publicly search-engine indexed internet.  Anything else is fair game.