jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

which is more important in SE Ranking

1. Ritsos profile image64
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

backlinks or title, head, url , description etc ...

I know both are good but I keep coming across loads of sites with backlinks but poor optimisation and just wondered which carried more weight with the big G

1. Brinafr3sh profile image89
      Brinafr3shposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Part of your hub title (keywords) has to be added to your tags.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I have been on HP for almost 2 years, and I'm still struggling to figure it all out.  Just when I thought I was beginning to catch on, that stupid "Panda" thing came along and changed the playing field.

I'm back to square one, and so frustrated. 

The other day, I went through a good number of my older hubs, tweaked tags; added summaries, and so forth.  For some of the articles, it resulted in a very brief (1 day!) increase in page views, and then everything went back to either 'traffic falling' or static.

Does everyone have to keep going back and re-promoting older posts?  I'm trying to run a business that actually makes me a little bit of money; to that end, created & desktop-published an entire new catalog; finding time to write when I can, and promote my new stuff.  In between all of that, there are still the household chores and time to eat and sleep.

I don't have time to spend hours on promotion!

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did that, too, Dzy - went to every hub and deleted an RSS feed.  Traffic immediately went from about 200 per day to 300 per day!  An extra 100 views the very first day!

100 hubs, one visit per hub to remove feeds = 100 extra visits. sad

Next day, of course, back to the same old thing.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
        DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Pffft-I don't even have any RSS feeds except on Hub Mob hubs....and I've only written about 3 of those before they changed it to "weekly topic inspiration"

3. Richieb799 profile image64
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

God knows lol, I saw one website ranking second for a keyword but only 9 backlinks but only because it had keyword in the URL and the third rank had 500 backlinks according to backlink checker anyway

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I freaking don't know what to do, except maybe stop wasting my time writing here.

That would be a shame, as I enjoy it, and enjoy the interaction with the other hubbers.  However, I need to write for REAL money, not a few cents here and there that don't even pay out until you hit $100.  My largest per week "payment" is still under half a dollar.

I've read the tips, the SEO optimizations, used the Google keyword tool, updated and tweaked my articles, tags, titles, and summaries, all to no avail.

My most recent artcle, the title of which I picked based upon the famous 'keyword tool,' had, according to the chart, over 200K searches monthly, and very low competition. that's supposed to be a good combination, right?

Well, guess what?  I'm way back on page 34 or something...and we all know that NO searcher is going to look much past 3 search engine pages.  There are still a gazillion and one duplicates out there...and I feel that is a bigger problem than any "poor quality writing"  supposedly targeted by this "Panda" nonsense.

Some of these sites must have auto-bots tweaking their "meta tags" and everything else 24/7, in order to get themselves found multiple times on every page, starting with the first 3 pages!!  THAT is just as much cheating as the prohibited "artificially inflated ad clicks," IMO.

As to the much-touted people featured on the landing page who "...make $1200/month writing on their interests..."  My husband says, "I'm going to pretend I'm from Missouri, and say, "Show me!  He doesn't believe it, and won't believe it unless he sees a PayPal statement proving it.  (And I'm beginning to disbelieve it, myself.)

He believes I am wasting my time chasing a pipe dream that has no more chance of sucess than any of the various multi-level-marketing outfits, where only those at the top actually make any significant amount of money.

He thinks Hub Pages is nothing but a mutual-admiration society, and is distincly unimpressed and not terribly supportive because of that.  He calls my writing here "playing around."

I guess I'll have to go back to Demand Media Studios, and write on their ridiculous topics that can't even  be properly researched according to their requirements, and their nit-picky copy editors who can't even properly format a sentence themselves when asking for a re-write--but at least it pays, upon acceptance, $10 per article!  They are a real drag, but it's also a proper payout structure, in which you get paid upon completion of the article, instead of "hoping" for enough ad-clicks on rev. share sites.

*** shrug ***  roll

5. timorous profile image90
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Hi Dzy;
    200k per month is going to be nearly impossible to be break through, unless your on-page SEO is absolutely perfect, and you're prepared to do a lot of backlinking until you're blue in the face.

The 'competiton' indicator in the Keyword tool is a gauge of what other AdWords advertiser's are willing to pay for that keyword phrase...not the number of websites competing for the same keyword.  The tool used to have a CPC column that showed the average bid for that keyword phrase.  Now you have to go to the Traffic Estimator (upper left corner), and type in some values.

If you want to be on the first page of Google results, you need to aim much lower, like 3000 views per month.  Search for alternate phrases that get that kind of action.

Best of luck to you smile

Thank you for your reply, timorous...

It is all so very confusing...just when you think "aha..now I get it,"  you don't have it at all.  It is frustrating in the extreme, and almost seems designed to prevent  you from "getting it." 
         Apparently, no one at Google AdSense seems to be familiar with the "K.I.S.S." principle!  You have to work really hard at it to make things as complicated and difficult as they have!  WTH??  Have they taken their cue from the frelling IRS??!!

6. Laura Ginn profile image81
    Laura Ginnposted 5 years ago

Unique content is the first place to start... if you don't supply this, the rest doesn't matter.

I believe my content is pretty unique... ;-)

7. who10 profile image87
    who10posted 5 years ago

Just ran across this thread.  Can someone point me to a better explanation of this?

"If you want to be on the first page of Google results, you need to aim much lower, like 3000 views per month.  Search for alternate phrases that get that kind of action."

I would think more views per month would generate more traffic, but I must be missing something.

Thanks

Ritsosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is true but if you put for example 'football' into google it will get loads of traffic but your chances of getting a top 100 position let alone a top ten are next to zero whereas 'regional football' will have less traffic but you'll find it easier getting a good position.

I can't recommend highly enough nichepursuit.com .. there's a free 20 page download booklet which explains an awful lot so clearly and in so little space .. get it!

1. who10 profile image87
        who10posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That makes sense.  Thanks for the recommendation.

8. Danette Watt profile image87
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

thanks Ritsos for the info on that website. Just to clarify, though, because I just checked it out, it's nichepursuits.com - with an 's' at the end. Thanks for the lead

Ritsosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Danette .. my bad .. you are indeed correct ... I'll head over to my hub to make sure it's correct on there too .. thanks :-)

working