jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Hubs and the suggest links feature.

1. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 6 years ago

I am assuming that the "suggest links" feature at the top of my hubs is supposed to show links when I click on it. Well, it does nothing when I click on it. So, what is the point of having it there. All it does when I point to something is show a red x.

Am I doing something wrong?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't mean to be rude or anything, but when you click on "Suggest links" the instructions appear on the right in a dark grey box with big red lettering.

Highlight the phrase you want turned into a link and it will try to find relevant hubs according to that phrase.

brimancandyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I tried to highlight a phrase, but all that shows up is a red x. And, you can't highlight anything. I tried that, and it didn't work. But, I will try again.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
          Garrett Mickleyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You might want to send an email to support or something then because it works fine for me, I just tried it to double check.  Maybe you have a browser compatibility issue.  Either way, let HP know you're having an issue so they can fix it

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's supposed to show other Hubs that you can link to.  Ignore it, it won't help your traffic or your income.  Using it benefits HubPages because it increases the interlinking between Hubs - but think about it, why would you want readers to click on a link and leave your Hub without clicking on an ad?

2. Rob Winters profile image77
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

That's a very good point Marisa. It does really push up your hubkarma but perhaps just a dupe to stop people considering Marisa's point.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

Exactly.  This was discussed a lot when HubKarma was introduced.

Obviously, for the individual Hubber there's no real benefit in linking to other Hubber's Hubs.  Therefore HubPages needed to find some way to encourage Hubbers to do so, because they wanted more interlinking across the site. HubKarma was the solution.

Many of the most successful Hubbers have never used it.

brimancandyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I did notice that it was a kind of worthless feature. But since hubpages gets a percentage of the ad clicks, and page clicks, I can see why they want you to add links to other hubs. Kind of like hub hopping, the more hubs we visit the more money they make. But, I would assume that I would get visits from people who might leave my page and come back. So, to me, it's all good.

But, I could be wrong.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94

Yes, but it makes more sense to hold on to them in the first place!

working