Flixya is at it again - copying content from Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (43 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

There is so much of this going on that it may not be worthwhile to mention. Since I know that this site is not cooperative, I sent my DMCA complaint to Google. My hub is copied word for word with all the lovely photographs and even a link to another similar hub. It probably is my best hub with lots of research. It is on the first page of google with my keywords as is the Flixya duplicate content article. Will this ever end?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that it will end.

I've never looked to see if anything of mine has been copied.  I'm afraid that I'd be too angered by it to enjoy my web hobby.

Do the DMCA complaints get anything accomplished?

brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is only my third one, and one they took down or moved it from first page. Second one is out of country, so it is still there. At one time, some hubbers were discussing putting articles there, but someone mentioned that they copy content of others. I guess it has a bad reputation. All three of them were taking traffic away from mine. Thanks for comment.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what site are we talking about, specifically, that copies content??

Can you leave comments on your copied content?  I'd probably twelve times a day leave comments everywhere about how "so and so" on that site, steals content, and how the site is an unethical content copying site, etc.

2. brakel2 profile image73

I finally sent it to the website Wes, and it was down in 30 minutes

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps if you stopped writing such good hub....people wouldn't want to steal them. lol just kidding. Glad you got it taken care of...there's a lot of this going around.

On a side note...I just read your skin cancer hub and I'm glad you mentioned under that picture of the dogs that they can get skin cancer too.  This is very important and I think a lot of people really don't realize it.

Thanks for the compliment. It surprised me about the dogs and skin cancer. I have learned a lot doing research. It's fun unless it gets my brain on overload.

2. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Try emailing the copier and warn them that you are on their case

3. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I always send DMCA's to the webhost.  If Hostgator (for example) receives a DMCA, they'll take the entire site down if it's not fixed in 48 hours.

This site is supposedly known for plagiarism and has not been cooperative. Google may not do anything either,

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the site is using Adsense, Google will do something.  I see there is a DMCA link at the bottom of their site, you should follow the instructions on that too.

Garrett, that is great that you have success with these sites.

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Yes, they have Adsense on their site, so maybe Google will do something. Thanks.

Sorry, should have been clearer. The DMCA link at the bottom of their site tells you how to submit a DMCA to Flixya.  You should do so.  They've just signed up for some kind of deal with Google so they may be more willing to cooperate.

Thank you Marisa. I sent it to website and it was gone in 30 minutes. Thank you and all who commented on this thread. This made my day.

5. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

I read this forum post and was happy that I hadn't experienced copied content, until TODAY, I decided to check the status of my online articles directly from the search engines, and sho' as &%$#, one of my articles is copied!

On wordpress.com, someone copied content from one of my articles nearly verbatim. They only changed a few words, but not enough for me to obviously know that it is MY article.

I reviewed the options for a DMCA report, and wordpress indicated that they prefer email correspondence although they have a form. I sent an email, and hopefully this will remedy the matter. THA' NERVE!!!!

1. imatellmuva profile image76
      imatellmuvaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been checking my e-mails periodically for a reply from wordpress, and only minutes ago, I received notice that the article has been removed. I went to the wordpress site, and the article and the writer has been removed for a violation of terms of service! H-A-L-L-E-L-U-J-A-H!!!!!!!

I hope this gets results for you. We will get to be experts, and maybe they will stop the copying.

I got the result I wanted and expected. This is more than disturbing. I periodically check the rankings of my hubs via the search engine, and found this one (11) days after it was published. This may be challenging for anyone with more hubs than I. However, it is worth the effort, so you and only YOU receive credit, and recognition for your work.

http://rising.blackstar.com/how-to-send … otice.html

This is the link to a take down notice I used. I hope it works

6. jonta profile image60
    jontaposted 12 years ago

Really, you got it removed? Can you explain how you did that? Somebody is stealing my content and I want it to be removed.

Each site should have whats called a DMCA - Digital Milennium Copyright Act  notice. This notice tells you how to file a report. I found the report on the wordpress site in the Support section of the site. For complete information on how to file, go to the HubPages Learning Center. Look under HubPages Help, and click the first link: My content was stolen: How to file a DMCA Complaint.

You can find copies of take down notices at websites. I put it up to see and then wrote it on word. Find a site and go from there for notifying a website. Good luck

7. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

imatell - good that you took care of that. I have found quite a few and filed DCMA's. I recently found one that was not exactly copied word for word but almost. The stupid idiot changed the gender of the person I was writing about which makes me think nobody will actually read it because it now makes no sense at all. Should I bother to file a DCMA? Will they attend to one that is closely paraphrased? I mean,  we all  must paraphrase a bit, even unconsciously. But this one was ridiculous.

Yes you should file a DMCA. Even when it's a close imitation of your work, it's STILL plagarism. My article that was copied, was not copied verbatim, but it was nearly word-for-word. There are some statements that can't possibly be the same as another,  When you paraphrase, the difference should be significant, when it isn't it's nothing more than plagarism. Most of my content ws left intact, including the title, it was very clear that it was my article. I also referenced the date my article was published, and when the first comment was made. The article and the publisher were "Taken DOWN" within an hour after their office opened.

8. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 12 years ago

Hi! What is DMCA? How do I know that my articles are copied? Sorry to ask, I´m new here and I am still learning.

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

DMCA is explained earlier in this thread.

One method of checking about stolen content is posted here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78031#post1687568

Other methods are possible too.

2. imatellmuva profile image76

@Aficionada...thanks! @Thelma Alberts, please see my reply to jonta.

9. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

Somebody copied my, "What it Costs to Be Different" article.  I didn't know what to do about it (I was very new then), so I did nothing, and after a few days, the copy went away by itself.  The people lifted two blocks of text and one picture; there were some other pictures and a really pretty boss home-made video that I didn't have in my article.

I'm not sure who monitors these things, but I do know there is a facility to find duplicate material and eliminate it connected with Google.

No, there isn't.

Google claims to penalize plagiarized work by omitting copies from its results, but in practice it doesn't work.  Google does not remove anything, and nor does anyone else, unless the original owner makes a formal complaint.

It's more than likely the person who copied your Hub also copied others, and other writers complained.

10. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I just had my first experience of my work being copied.  Words, pictures everything. It is actually my hub that is the hub of the day today.  So who do I have to contact?  This was on flixya

1. cardelean profile image87
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to add that it was on Google's second page but my actual writing wasn't on the first five pages that I checked.  Wow, great job google.

Send a take down notice. See my link above. I sent mine to Flixya, and it was gone in 30 minutes.

Thanks, I did.  I also found a second one by me and one by Hubber Stephanie Henkel.  The "writer" is Scorpion360 so others may want to check that particular "person."

You're welcome. Hope you have some luck with your take down notice Cardelean. At the bottom of the Flixya website, it says where to send it along with some info about DMCA.

Mine were taking down right away but as I continued to check titles on HP I was noticing that every single "article" was stolen from HP.  So I started to contact the authors to let them know and eventually the user was banned from Flixya, at least for now.

11. Night Magic profile image60
    Night Magicposted 12 years ago

Thanks Flixya for starting this post.  I'm just new here & had no idea how to find out if your Hub has been plagiarized. In fact, I had no idea their was such a thing as DMCA.

Thanks Imatellmuva for the explanation & where to read more about it.

12. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

it's so depressing to find ones' work that we labored over,and worry about the traffic, stolen without such much as a simple request.
    all the thieves had to do is ask and credit us.

13. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

i filed a DCMA with Google on Monday evening. Anyone know how long it takes to get a response. The party that has it on their website claims that some else did it..

When I filed my DMCA report it was with flixya.  I got a response with in the hour.

My article on Flixya was taken down in 30 minutes. Google takes forever and prefers that you work with website, if possible. I did both and never heard back from Google. Just do a take down letter, or have you done that. How do you know that they said someone else did that? At the bottom of the site, it says DMCA and where to send it. Was that the response?

1. Green Lotus profile image60
        Green Lotusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your help! DMCA removed my plagiarized Hub in less than 30 hrs. It's interesting to note, that the same plagiarized Hub, (on Yoga for Male Libido Enhancement) made it quite easily, plagiarized to Flixya (an AdSense vehicle), while those same ads were removed from my hub by HP because HP found it to be against Google's adsense policy!  I'm wondering if I should point this out to the hubteam?

That's good for a laugh but not too funny. I am glad you had success. Keep up the good work. Yes, point it out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)