jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Image size on HubPages

1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image96
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years ago

Can anyone advise on the best size of image to use on HubPages? I know there's a maximum size which I think is about 5 Mb. But what is the best size? Too small and the image is poor. Too large and maybe with some connections the images take too long to load? With broadband I don't think it's too much of a problem, but I use a lot of pictures on some of my pages, and I worry they may take too long for some users?

2. Eileen Hughes profile image81
    Eileen Hughesposted 5 years ago

Try using the middle size.  although it will depend on the quality of the image.  If it looks poor use the smaller one.

Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that, but what would you suggest is a middle size? 100 Kb, 1 Mb? I do use an image size which looks clear to me, but the worry I have is more to do with speed of loading. Even if it loads OK on my computer with my connection, I want to be sure that visitors to the site with possibly slower connection speeds will not have to wait ages for images to load.

3. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

To display at full size a picture should be at least 500 pixels wide.  If it is smaller it will pixelate, if it is larger it will be automatically downsized.

Greensleeves Hubsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply, but I think maybe I'm not using the right terminology. What I am interested in is how long a particular image will take to apppear on a page, not the quality of image. if a computer is low on power or only updates slowly, as I understand it a large megabyte image takes a long time to appear. What size of image do I have to use to ensure that on all computers it will appear almost instantly, when someone visits my page?

working