jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

I propose a 4-day work week

1. Traqqer profile image77
    Traqqerposted 5 years ago

You know, in my laziness (in one of my lazy daydreams), I've often thought of what it would be like if we could have a 4-day work week - meaning 3 day weekends. If all the major countries in the world agreed to this schedule, I think it could work out. The economy may slow down a little, but it would work. Now, bear in mind that I am not suggesting a 3-day or 2-day work week. I think there is a limit to what is reasonable. So, I for one think that if we all raised up our voices for this great cause, it could work.....or maybe that's the point at which I wake up. Some people may decide to "cheat" the system and work 5-days (just as we have people who work 6 or 7 days a week now). But if the vast majority agreed to work 4 days with the same pay we receive now, no-one in general would have an unfair advantage, and the world could be a much more peaceful place. I sure could use an extra day off.

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

A 4 day work week would automatically increase the daily amount of hours worked, so the same paycheck could be received. wink

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

every time i have worked for a Company, the hours expand, and the 4 day week is used as a sales tool for the HR Dept. Not as great as it looks, at times.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are some companies that employees only work 4 days on and 3 days off. As I said, this requires the employees to work longer hours during the time they do work, so they can have the extra day off and achieve the same pay, as though they worked 5 days. wink

2. Traqqer profile image77
      Traqqerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good point, but to clarify, I mean 4-day, 32 hour weeks. That would be my dream come true.

1. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Won't happen.

1. Traqqer profile image77
          Traqqerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't say that. It will happen....it must happen. My laziness demands it!

There's no place like a 32-hour week...

[Clicking my shoes now]...darn, nothing happened.

2. Quilligrapher profile image89
        Quilligrapherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A four-day week would mean an increase in leisure time without additional income to pay for additional leisure activities.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

In my job...which I lost 2 months ago... I was working 4-day weeks for a while. I took Wednesday off. So, I had 2 days of work, one day off, 2 days of work, 2 days off. It was nice while it lasted. Of course, I still put in 5 days worth of work in those 4 days...

4. Greg Sage profile image59
    Greg Sageposted 5 years ago

The only time I worked for anyone else, I was on 4 days, off 2... constantly rotating days off.

I loved it, but hard to work with other family members' schedules.

5. Bill Manning profile image71
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I prefer to keep my 7 days a week work schedule, but then I work for myself. big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, since I have been unemployed I now work 7 days a week too smile

6. earner profile image86
    earnerposted 5 years ago

I've worked 4-day weeks before.  4 longer days (9 hours/day).  It was amazing.  Every weekend felt like a mini holiday - and every Monday morning I felt like I'd had a real break.

I'd propose going one further.  With so much unemployment businesses should all be open 6 days/week and everybody should work 3 day weeks.  Then there'd be jobs for everybody.  Those needing more money (during transition to lower pay) could do two jobs.  Parents could both work, each doing a different 3-day block, so they shared childminding.

The 3 days could be 9-10 hour days.

Many people would save on their commuting costs, having to only travel to work 3 days instead of 5.

Also, learning/University could work on the same basis.  So you could go to Uni 3 days/week and have a job the other 3 days, if you wanted.  Opening up higher education to more people who were already tied to a lifestyle/mortgage.

7. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 5 years ago

Work???

Whats work???

working