jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Are foreign translations considered a duplicate?

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I've received an email through HP requesting permission to translate a hub into Turkish and post it.  I am inclined to grant permission (the hub gets little traffic in any case) if a backlink is provided.

Would such a translation be considered a duplicate copy and end up with the hub being unpublished?

1. Froggy213 profile image40
      Froggy213posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hubs are supposed to be English only--I have some things such as prayers in other languages-within the hub so people of other cultures could read it.

wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, they want to post it on a Turkish website, not in HubPages.  I didn't make that very clear, did I?

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

Just my thoughts on it, so essentially meaningless, but I can't imagine how they would see it that way since it's NOT a duplicate, it's a translation, making it it's own work. So long as you have copyright permissions, which you seem to, I can't see how they would even know it was a "duplicate" because it's NOT. Duplicate is "a copy" an "identical replica" ... that sort of thing. Something spiders can see. No way a spider could reassemble a translation and come up with an original source.

3. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I was thinking the same way as Shadesbreath. 

I think it would also be nice if they would include a box or something that says "translated with permission of the author" or something similar.

And, you didn't mean that it would be posted on HubPages, did you?  Just that you were contacted that way?

Right on both counts.  I had in mind a backlink with a permission blurb of some kind.

And no, it would be put on a Turkish site.  That's the big reason I would consider it - I don't see how it could hurt my traffic at all, and a PR3 backlink is not something to dismiss (at least for me!).  I can't read it of course, but the site looks good and seems to have the same type of subject as the hub.

4. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 5 years ago

Download a translation addon in Moxilla, which will allow you to translate pages written in any language.  I use this all the time to read websites written in Japanese and Chinese, and Spanish since my reading ability in that language is not 100%.

I might do that - it would be interesting to see the translated article.

5. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

You can even just use Google's "Translate This Page" feature and get some sort of translation.  I haven't used it very much, so I don't know how to rate it.

6. WriteAngled profile image94
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Automatic translators will only give a very vague sense of the content. If you want to see just how they mess things up, take some text in English, translate into a language of your choice, and then translate the translation back into English. The results will normally be even worse than the spun stuff we flag here.

7. SweetiePie profile image84

The language translators are helpful when I am trying to figure out the gist of an article or story.  These have come a long way in being more accurate actually.

1. WriteAngled profile image94
      WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I absolutely disagree. They continue to spit out rubbish. A mechanically produced translation is instantly obvious as being such.

As a professional translator, I am delighted that the situation continues to be thus! smile

8. SweetiePie profile image84

Well I did a research project ten years ago, and the translated sites were more incomprehensible then.  At least now Google Translate makes more sense.  Of course the service is not 100% accurate, but if I want to read an article about John Lone in Chinese, at least I can figure out what it is about.  I read a lot of novels that take place in China, Japan, and I like a lot of actors from those countries. When there is a site about a certain novel or actor, I will not forgo trying to figure it out.

working