jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Why isn't there filtering before a hub is published?

1. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

I am not advocating major filtering, but rather some very basic filters to address the most egregious hubs.

How about length?  I don't know what the right number of words would be, but I suspect 6 words is too few:

How about percentage of words misspelled?  This would hopefully ID foreign language hubs:

It would also ID the poor spinners who can't get the spacing of their words right. 

I would aim for 30% or 40% misspellings against the english dictionary.

I hope that these suggestions will help HP stop the spam that is still quickly coming into the site.

BTW - both of these hubs were published today.

2. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

1. Mutiny92 profile image87
      Mutiny92posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can't see where legitimate hubbers would be upset by this...and many would appreciate the removal of spam.

I would hope HP would want hubbers writing new content and not spending time flagging hubs that COULD have easily been auto-filtered,

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I couldn't agree more with you, Mutiny92, in theory - and I am sure a huge majority of Hubbers will feel the same. I have thought of this myself, on many occasions, but sadly a reality check has always kicked in. I know and acknowledge that you suggest only limited auto measures and I promise I am not being negative but there are some points we have to consider:

- An extensive software system would have to be developed and implemented to automatically filter out the potential Hubs that are deemed to be substandard. I am no software engineer but I imagine this would be a time consuming and costly business.

- I know from forum posts that Hub Pages have taken on two extra staff who have the sole (or at least major) remit of identifying and addressing issues with substandard Hubs. How many more would be required to perform a task of the magnitude we are considering, as surely certain Hubs picked up by the auto filter would merit at least manual review and within a reasonable timescale?

- I may be wildly off the mark with this last one and may very well have got it from a dream one night (seriously!) but there is something deep in the back of my mind, niggling away, that tells me sites like Hub Pages, Squidoo, Helium, etc have to be open publishing platforms in order to retain a certain status and comply with certain regulations online. Like I say, this may be one hundred percent inaccurate and I wish I could remember where I got this idea from. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the facts??

Great point and post. Very valid and thought provoking.

PS - I did not click on the links - I didn't want to grant them page views! smile

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image91
    DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

How about a filter that picks up when a hub has no words at all?  I've seen plenty of those...last I heard this was a writers' site, not Flickr.

5. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago via iphone

Gordon,  I suspect they have the ability already as they count words for the 50/1 rule and filter for words in prohibited topics.

Of course, the 50/1 rule is not working 100%. I hope it is just a software glitch in the system.