My name is Nalani, and I am a child of the 80's. (HI NALANI!)

1. myriadmom profile image79
    myriadmomposted 5 years ago

I will acknowledge that there are songs that were so popular in their time that they literally represent a generation, a decade, a genre, etc.  I will also acknowledge that, even as a musician and music lover, I didn't - and still don't - like some of those decade-defining songs. At all. And will turn off the radio if they come on. Among them:

"Money For Nothing", Dire Straits
    If it's not "Sultans of Swing", I don't want to hear it. I know, I know, it's the calling card of the MTV generation - MY generation - but I can't stand that song. *shudders*

"Eye Of The Tiger", Survivor
    I don't know why I don't like it. Maybe it's because I don't like the Rocky movies (no, that's not a typo, I don't like the Rocky movies ... STELLLAAAA). Maybe because it was played a hundredmillionbilliontimesaday and was the theme of EVERY school in America's Homecoming in 1982/83.

"Conga" & "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You", Miami Sound Machine
    Again, not sure what it is but .. I just .. can't .. listen to it without cringing. I think a part of it has to do with the videos.

ANYTHING by Billy Ocean
    Seriously, I know I doth blaspheme as far as many of you are concerned. His voice just didn't make me think, "yeah- that's the SH*T!"  Plus, the dude couldn't dance and that irritated me.

"Macarena", Los Del Rio
    How many times can you listen to the same four lines in a language you don't understand before you go nuts?

Now, before it starts to sound like I'm a wench content on bashing the lovers of popular music, I will also admit to some guilty pleasures ... and if this gets out, I will deny it all and hunt you down.

"The Right Stuff", New Kids On The Block
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-oooohhhhh ... guys, I even know the choreography from the video. Seriously.

"The Beat Goes On", Brittney Spears
    Yes, she covered this Sonny & Cher classic on her debut album and I really liked it. A lot.

Any and all music by KISS
    I was, and am, a member of the KISS Army! (Peter Criss was supposed to be my husband but he, apparently, didn't get the memo).

"I Write The Songs", Barry Manilow
    while I'm not a "FANilow", I do love this song a lot.

EVERYTHING by the Carpenters
    I cried when Karen died.

Whoa .. I feel so vulnerable now