jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Co-Author? Attention published authors

1. frugalfamily profile image80
    frugalfamilyposted 5 years ago

I have decided to write my first ebook through createspace.  I have based all of my material on a class that I took and I reference the ideas are based on her class.  She recently contacted me and said that she wanted to make a reference book but did not know how to begin. We are thinking about collaborating on a project but she is worried I will "steal all of her ideas." 

She is not a writer.  I would really like to collaborate a project with her and although I will be doing most of the writing, I would like to set it up as a co-authored book.

Her question is "how does this work?"

How do I set things up so that she gets a good portion of the proceeds of our project?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

To be honest, If you were preparing to publish a book based on her class without involving her I would say she has reason not to trust you with her intellectual property.

If you do decide to work on it together you need to both sign a contract stating what each of you will contribute, how the work will be sold, and what the divisions of profits will be.

If you decide to self-publish note that Createspace is for print books, Kindle is for ebooks.

1. frugalfamily profile image80
      frugalfamilyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for responding, I was already planning on involving her and her start-up website.  She just happened to contact me first.  I've never seen a contract for co-authorship before, I'm wondering if I can just assign the Amazon proceeds like we did for hubpages.

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

Just draft a contract that spells out co-ownership you both sign a copy and then write.

Honestly, if you can't do business on a handshake with her (or she, you), you shouldn't be working together anyway.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

In there cases it is more important just to get something in writing than have it word perfect.  Just write out the agreement in plain language and both sign it.  This is as much to make sure everything is clear as to create something legally binding. Depending on the state you are in a digital signature might be acceptable.

But to get where she is coming from (and where I as a lecturer would be coming from in a like situation)--you didn't need to 'involve' her, you needed her prior permission to create a derivative work based on her copyrighted material.