Seasonal Traffic Spikes on Older Hubs...Money Making Opportunity?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I'm sure there are money-making opportunities on older Hubs that have a decent score, traffic over time, evergreen content, and seasonal appeal (other than the classic Christmas, Valentine, Halloween seasons), but it hasn't been my focus to make money from my Hubs, so I thought I'd throw this data out to you to do with what you will. This Hub is now in its third year, and apparently it's a big hit starting in late July.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5227942_f248.jpg

I hadn't looked at the stats for this Hub in a long time, and then the stats graph caught my eye today.

I'm thinking if you are like me you are not paying too much attention to peaks and valleys of traffic over time, but paying attention could give you a money-making opportunity.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it was an eye-opener for me. Hope this is useful to some of you.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is important to check the stats on seasonal hubs.  My "summer" oriented hubs have already made 1/3 of Adsense payout for July.  This month should be my highest ever month for Adsense earnings if June was any indication.  June was my second highest earning month on Adsense ever.  smile

Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good case for paying attention to seasonal fluxes. But Randy, I think you knew that from the beginning, like how to capitalize on seasonal Hubs and other money making opportunities. For me, and I'm suspecting for others, we haven't been paying enough attention to looking at helpful HP stats or to money-making opportunities.

Your news is good news for anyone who has written a seasonal Hub and doesn't know it or what to do with it! smile

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Sally's Trove,

I have one hub that averages low traffic and has been up for a while now, however, it seems like it now has double digit traffic, which is unusual.

Opportunities are always a possibility with Seasonal type traffic. I hope you do well. smile

Yesterday was my best day in 3 weeks for adsense. smile big_smile It was a pleasant surprise. smile

I think some Hubbers don't take enough advantage of the data that's available to them on HP...this was an eye-opener for me, and I've been here for three years!

As for AdSense...congrats to you! Wish I could say the same.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. smile
        sad

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I've got some seasonal hubs - they are good for that and that season only.  I always improve hubs like that to make them more relative to the current season.  I doubt I'll create more of them though, as they just seem to get in my way as I scroll through my account page. . .

I'm curious...what do you mean, "...they just seem to get in my way as I scroll through my account page..."?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eh, I've got 230 hubs now, and my vision isn't the best.  Sometimes I go scrolling through my account looking for a specific hub. . . .and I can't find it.  I then have to go back to my profile page and type in the title from my personalized author content search thing.

Also, the seasonal hubs seem to get really low on the hub score until it's their time o' the year to shine, and I think that brings down my author score.

Yeah, I know, I'm crying like a child about trivialities.

I totally identify about finding a specific Hub of my own, and I don't have 230 Hubs! So, when on the account page, I'll use the browser's search and find feature and plug in a keyword out of what I think the subject or title is, and that gets pretty good results.

I've got plenty of Hubs with low Hub scores, but they don't seem to bring down my author score at all. We all know it's a bit of a mystery how HP calculates those things.

No, you're not crying...just looking for a way to make some sense when we don't have all the information we need, like, how HP assess scores or what makes a Hub earn money. For some of us, it's all a crap shoot.

Thanks!

I try not to worry about the stupid author score - but mine forever bothers me.  I don't think I should be a 100 or anything. . . .but. . . .okay, I really do need a tissue! ha!

Some of my hubs really AREN'T so good.  I got a bit carried away at one point with production over quality.  Slowly they get improved, but I'm forever thinking of something else that I think I can write a decent one about.  Also, I actually get solicited to write hubs - which I always take as a compliment instead of a bother.

Oh well, life is more about peace of mind than hub score!!!

First, I've always been sorry that I didn't buy stock in Scott or some other tissue manufacturer. I go through tissues like I go through my morning coffee...not so much for crying (although that sometimes happens), but for allergies! LOL

Second, no one has ever solicited me through HP to do any kind of writing. So what am I doing wrong? LOL again.

heheheh.  I used to be Mr. Myspace, and now almost all of my huge Myspace crowd is on Facebook with me.  I court conversation from all sides Atheist/theist  Lefty/righty so forth and so on - and so when folks see that even though I disagree with them totally but still like them as people - they sometimes want to do a back and forth sort of thing, and even have us link to each other.

Not a bad marketing plan, I think.

Oh...not so bad at all! TY for sharing. I'll have to think more on this. You've defined yourself, I think, in the world of "relationship marketing". (There's an Edmondson something or other about this lately.)

Definitely food for thought.

4. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I like the holiday hubs, I always read them, and being the impulse shopper that I am, I've often bought something from Amazon when on the page.  You guys love me, I'm sure!

Aha! You are smitten by holiday Hubs (and I'm sure a lot of Hubbers love you for that), but what about seasonal Hubs, meaning those that spike during certain times of the year, even though they are not related to holidays. I wonder if you have written any of those?

1. Paradise7 profile image69
        Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not often but I read them like crazy (the summer ones and the fall ones, in particular), and, once again, I have that plastic mojo workin' for me.  You guys are dangerous!

The type of hubs I write aren't particularly lucrative; they are some history, some science, some social issues...for some reason, I don't write profitable things, except maybe mentally profitable, at least for moi!

I've been a fan of yours for a while, but I admit I haven't read your recent Hubs. I'm really glad you responded here. It's a wake-up call for me.

2. Cagsil profile image69

Yes! smile big_smile

Hey baby you are so much sunshine in my life!

As long as you smile, then you make my day. smile

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

If it matters, I only have 102 hubs, but all of my hubs are in specific groups and I search those groups to find the hub I'm looking for, instead of scrolling through all of them. smile I have like 5 different categories(groups). smile

Well-organized men are HOT< HOT< HOT!  We give 'em an OOO!

cool

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

Oh hell, . . . .I knew there was something I was doing wrong!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

I'm a scatterbrained sort of person - organization isn't really my strong point.  Also, I typically can't sit still, or in front of a computer for more than fifteen minutes at a time.

Enough of me and my silly pseudotroubles!

3. Sally's Trove profile image79

That's another good way to find things we've written...I haven't used it, although all of my Hubs are categorized/grouped. Thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)