jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

A bit of fun with Google +1

1. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 5 years ago

Here's the first line in the code that webmasters see when they want to download the code for implementing the +1 button:

Place this tag in your head or just before your close body tag

It's even more fun if you don't have a clue about HTML. big_smile

Just in case you have intentions of putting the +1 button on your site...it's still full of bugs, and slows down your page loading time, sometimes noticably, depending on your browser.

I haven't gotten it to work, even in Chrome.  It's no wonder Hubpages is still on the fence on this one.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tip about the bugs with the button.  I've been feeling guilty about not putting it on my sites (because I'm clueless about HTML!!) - you've reassured me that I'm not missing much at this point!

2. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

once this +1 is working properly, maybe it should be implemented instead of vote up/vote down (which do nothing at all?)

1. sofs profile image87
        sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That seems like the hottest ideas around here.. smile

2. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

Google +1 is super easy to implement. Could cause some delay - but no more then a twitter button,facebook share or any other share platform that uses an external call or script. If you had said analytics is a page lag Id be with you...

Why would you be downloading a code?

Its copy/paste

What you pasted in red is just a comment - the code is just

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>

to enable

to display

If your are running any common CMS some developers has surely made a simple plugin for you by now also

I havent enabled it on all my sites yet either, but thats only because im giving preference to the FB like button. I dont expect users to click more than one share (if any) and "like" has a more established user base. But, thats just my curent personal preference.

I havent seen many complaints that match your own across development and design communities.

What was your page speed before adding button compared to after?

Its the 4th of July weekend here .. this may be hard to read as Ive been on a mission to drink my state dry... but i oculd still install a +1 button now smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Actually that has been a complaint of mine - I've tried several sharing plugins on my Wordpress sites and found nearly all of them slowed things down badly.  My sites are running in the mid-80's and some of the plugins reduced the speed into the 70's, which I don't think is acceptable.

I finally settled on AddThis, but the most recent update seems to be broken.

3. timorous profile image91
      timorousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

ha...you took my post way too seriously.  I realize the part in red is a comment, and that the whole thing is copy and paste.  I still can't get it to work.  I'll figure it out though.

Nevertheless, you may be interested in reading this blog about the problems I mentioned:  Google +1 Button Performance Review

I haven't actually done any testing myself, although the Like button does slow things down a bit.  You should also keep in mind that not everyone has a high-speed connection, and it may become an issue for them.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I installed a +1 button on my one of my sites.

I attempted to do it first by adding code to post.php, but made a mess of it and fked the whole site! I couldn't undo, and hadn't backed up.

So I had to download and instal a new theme to get out of it.

Live and learn!

After that, I just installed a plugin to do the job.