jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

profile design

1. liftandsoar profile image80
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

How do I get a link into my profile?  The chain that is usually used for such, is not live.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

You must edit your profile. The "chain" link is in the top row, next to the "disconnect" chain link.

It will make a live link provided you enter in a proper web address.

liftandsoarposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OK, define a link for me.  I know that's really basic.  What I did was put the URL of my website in the profile.   The link chain did not come alive.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image83
        theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Did you highlight the text that you wanted to make a link out of? Don't be offended.....I know this is a basic question but I've done it myself half asleep, which is why I ask. smile

2. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You should not be putting links in the profile itself.

You want to make a link, then embed it in a word. Which means, you would put a "word"(something that describes your website) in your profile(view my profile to see the embedded links I use), then drag your mouse over the word(which would highlight the word). Then click on the "chain link" icon on the top row of the box you are typing it. That will pop up a smaller window, which will have a long white bar at the top. That is where you enter the URL to your website.

Click on save.

When you save your profile, then the "word" will be hyper-linked to your website.

I hope that is explained good enough. smile

This is all very helpful.  Thanks.  I got the link done and am now working on my first Hub.  Why would I not want to put a link in my profile?  My website offers all the information people might want about who I am and what I do.  I'd like to keep the profile short and sweet.  But I'm certianly open to contrary instruction.

1. Cagsil profile image60
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My point is what UW said.

You want to embed links and not just put a long stretched link to your website.

The embedded link looks more professional style.

The "naked" bare link looks sloppy and suggest you do not know what you are doing(inexperienced), which doesn't give any of your work any credibility. wink

I understand.  Now I just had a disaster.  Finished my first Hub, hit preview.  It looked good so I was looking for the next step.  Couldn't find and obvious next step so I hit back and lost the whole thing.  at least I think I did.  Any suggestions?

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

You can put links in your profile. I think Cagsil is saying you should not have a "naked" link...

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

You open the preview, then close the preview.  Then you publish the page.  You don't published from the preview.

5. liftandsoar profile image80
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

Is there any way to retrieve what I lost?

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you enter editing mode, then edit the capsules - there is a restore feature inside the text capsule itself. It will show any previous backups that may be available. If not there, it is gone.

Thanks.  I can't even get into what I was working on, let alone punch the edit button.  I guess I've lost it altogether.

working