jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Problem with the filter to ID the 50 words per ad rule?

1. Mutiny92 profile image85
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

I have noticed many hubs that do not comply with the 50/1 rule.

Has there been a change in policy that is allowing more now?

If not, is there a problem in the algorithm that identifies these for removal?

It doesn't seem fair to allow some hubs to have more than the allotted ads, while others were told to reduce them.

1. classicalgeek profile image89
      classicalgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Are you counting the words in the Amazon descriptions? Those are not counted as part of the hub but count towards the 50 words per Amazon (not ad) item rule.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, you have to have one Amazon ad for every 50 words in the hub.

When I see hubs with too many ads I flag them.

Mutiny92posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just wonder if the algorithm is being tweaked. Or if it is working fine and there is another factor (like the words in a link module) that are being counted.

2. Aficionada profile image94
          Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

***I remembered it the same way as classicalgeek described.***  I found this post:

I understand that something different may have been written since that post, but at that time, anyway, the Hubber-written descriptions for products in the Amazon capsule did count towards the required ratio.

1. Robin profile image
            Robinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your Amazon descriptions still do count toward your 50 word total.  big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image94
              Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Robin!

2. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 5 years ago

Hello, Mutiny!  Thanks for keeping your eye out!  We haven't changed the rule.  If you see Hubs with this violation, please flag them.  Thanks!

Robin, is there a problem with the filtering process?  I don't mind IDing these as I see them, but if the filter can be tweaked to automatically address them, it would be best.  I seem to see these most often with eBay ads.

Here is another example:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Zero-Water-Remo … Your-Water

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
        Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mutiny92: We do build a bit of leeway into the automated filter because the number of products listed can vary, and differ from the setting configured by the Hubber. An eBay Capsule set to show 8 products, for example, might only show 4 that match the keyword, in which case it might not violate the 50 words/product rule.

That said, if, at the time you're seeing the Hub, it violates the rule, you can flag it and the moderators will check the numbers at the time they view it, and take it down if it violates the rule.

I thought it was based on the max number.  I had Amazon capsules set for 8, but only a couple of products were shown.  The formula used the full 8. Is eBay calculated differently?

working