jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How do you feel about ESL writers?

1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image83
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 5 years ago

When reading a hub that is full of sub-standard English, do you flag it for low quality? If the writer is obviously someone whose first language was not English, are you more lenient with them as compared to an English speaker who simply has poor writing skills?

1. livewithrichard profile image84
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Flag it for being substandard.  Also, sometimes you will come across hubs that sound like they are written by ESL writers but in fact are spun from software.  Still, you want to flag these substandard hubs and let the moderators make the decision.

1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image83
        Theresa_Kennedyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank goodness the moderators make the actual decision!

Sometimes I feel guilty for flagging a hub because I can see the writer made a good effort. At the same time, I want to be associated with a a quality site filled with quality content.

It never occurred to me that some hubs I assumed were written by ESL writers, are actually spun.

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 5 years ago

its very frustrating to try to read these hubs, and if its about a subject you really have an interest or a need to know - well, its very frustrating - flag em!

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I have no time for any writing that is not in easily understandable English.  Why the hell should I struggle to read something?  I feel cheated if I search and land on some spammy poorly written garbage.  It is annoying.

This applies to English and non English people.  To be honest I am sick of the crap that is across the internet.

Doubly sick as it a fair part of the reason that HP has sunk down the rankings, and taken my chance of making a few pence with it.

Want to learn English?  F--- off and learn it. Try reading instead of writing.

Hope that's clear.

edit: The same applies to poorly written bits of crap that give me nothing when I click in to read.

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

Don't read my stuff!!! Geesh!

(hee hee)

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

Why should I be lenient?

I do not go to a French site (for example) and submit stuff in poorly written French.

If people want to use English to earn money, they can jolly well invest some time and money in getting themselves to a sufficiently high standard in the language.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Exactly, this is a site for English writers. It's not the place to learn to write... That's not to say that some native speakers are not bad smile