jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Teaching: Turning Lesson Plans into Hubs

1. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 5 years ago

My sister is in school to be a teacher and she has tons and tons of lesson plans she would like to share online. She has enlisted me to help her turn them into hubs for her.

Lesson plans are very structured -- hers are essentially a template that's filled out with a script (what she'll say to students), an activity, things needed for the lesson, etc.

I couldn't find a template or lesson plan online that is styled like hers, so bear with me. This is fairly close to how hers are written:
    http://www.ilile.org/events/past/Semina … _img_0.jpg

How do I turn something like that into a hub? She's got lesson plans for practically every grade level and subject so I think this would be a great project for the two of us to do once we figure out how to tackle this.

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Melbel, I'm a teacher too (music education)
      I don't see how you'll be able to keep the same format. There are plenty of sites that offer lesson plans, and honestly now adays people are paying less attention to how the lesson plans look and more to how to cut to the chase and get results. It might be a good idea to do informative hubs about how to put together units, including ideas for lesson plans, activities, field trips, etc.

2. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 5 years ago

Oh yeah, I definitely see how I'm going to have to break up the format. But how do I get it to flow -- how do I title it? What do I name the sections of the hub, etc?

Here are how they are titled:
    Writing Lesson Plan Grade 1
    Science Lesson Plan Grade 6

1. 0

I would title the hub by the unit. If the unit is on farm animals you can call it "FARM ANIMALS UNIT - GRADE 1" Then the first section could contain the objectives and goal, the second section could contain the activities, the third section could contain the materials and rubric or standards, the fourth section could be ideas for field trips, music to go along with the lesson, recommended books, etc.

1. melbel profile image92
        melbelposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don't know how incredibly helpful you have been -- this is exactly how I will do it. smile

1. 0

3. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 5 years ago

Good Idea but it would even be better to post them on a FREE Website. (Get your own / give it a name) That would be more effective. Having said that, it could be your Niche on Hubpages.

Good Luck.
    Elena  (I teach in UK)

4. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 5 years ago

She and I discussed her plan-of-action with titling these hubs and she doesn't want the book in the titles as the lesson plan can really utilize any book at that grade level with the teacher doing slight modifications to the lesson plan to fit the book. Also, we felt that it wouldn't really help as a keyword because we don't feel anyone would search for "BOOKNAME lesson plan."

We came up with the title "First Grade Writing Lesson Plan" but it's not particularly descriptive. Also, she has several 1st grade writing lesson plans and she can't name all the hubs the same thing.

The lesson plan that I've really looked at has a storybook for children to read, some writing they have to do off of something in the book, and then a word activity to make it a "full lesson." The activity in this particular lesson plan is learning (or further understand) homophones.

I'm not sure about naming it "First Grade Writing Lesson Plan: Homophones" because the homophones thing is just a related addon of the lesson to really just be "part of this balanced breakfast." I don't want teachers to click on the hub thinking that it's going to highly focus on homophones --- or to NOT click on it because they think the whole lesson is nothing but homophones.

Ideas? Comments?