jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Importing a photo via the web

1. Kelly L Deeny profile image60
    Kelly L Deenyposted 5 years ago

So far I've only used photos that I own/have saved on my computer.  Since my current hub involves a TV show I'd like to include a photo but I'm unsure how to go about attaching the photo in a LEGAL and legitimate way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you can find publicity photo of the series, use that. Those are free to use as long as you acknowledge the source and do not manipulate it.

If you have to illustrate a specific scene, just capture that scene and nothing else. AND attribute the source.

As long as you do not misrepresent the photo's source, and you are reasonably sure the photo can be used (like it's off their publicity department or website), you should be fine.

To be absolutely sure, you can write to the TV show's owners and request permission to use a photo, but who knows how long they'll take to respond. Still, you have to make a reasonable attempt (and document doing so).

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image83
    LuisEGonzalezposted 5 years ago

If you use the image for a comparison, for a review, critique , it should be OK, since you  should be afforded protection by the Fair Use Doctrine. You cannot however claim the image as being yours or alter it in any way. But nevertheless, you should always attempt to gain permission for its use.

3. Joshuad profile image78
    Joshuadposted 5 years ago

Thats my problem too; pls Explain step by step "how to" 'about importing a photo via the web.

4. carpesomediem profile image59
    carpesomediemposted 5 years ago

If you visit the TV show's official web site or the network, they should have a press section where they release photos.  Not all shows and networks offer this service to the general public, but it is worth a try.

5. Kelly L Deeny profile image60
    Kelly L Deenyposted 5 years ago

Thank you all for your advice!  I think some more research is in order.