jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Question About the New "Subdomain Thing"

1. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

In a lot of ways, I suppose this isn't really even my business (now that people have subdomains), but I've come here straight from two aggravating, new, Hubs I ran into.  Here's the kind of thing they were (and I'm changing the wording here):  Each Hub was a big, glossy, photo of a product.  The Hub, itself, was about a paragraph (or two super-short ones).  This is the kind of language used in the few, measly, words:  "You like get exercise".  In other words, "Tarzan talk".

These were something I ran into when hopping.  They were things I just ran into by accident (because I often just read whatever shows up wherever I happen to). 

So, my question(s):  Does flagging that kind of stuff even matter now (with subdomains)?  Will the junk in a subdomain just "fall to the bottom of the Earth)?  Will HubPages do something with/to it that means it won't be likely to be seen by anybody anyway?  Once everyone has his own subdomain, will the only "main" HP domain be HP, itself (with nothing anyone from outside posts getting viewed in that main domain)?

Biggest question:  Will this kind of stuff stop showing up when a person is just browsing Hubpages in one place or another (other than if he goes looking for Hubbers, themselves), and will it only show up when someone goes Hub hopping?

Basically, I'm just wondering if the most ridiculous stuff will disappear from anything but hopping; and if what will be left (as far as reasons to flag go) will be only material with more "subtle" offenses.  In other words, will the new sudomains thing render flagging (again, outside hopping) this kind of ridiculous stuff unnecessary?  As it is now, a person doesn't have to be hopping (and expecting to see junk) to run into the parade of new stuff (a good percentage of which is often pure junk).  The parade of new stuff is something I'm used to (and I'm figuring out that I really shouldn't look for reading that way).  I just think if there are potential new members (who are actually skilled in writing and English) they'll be that much less likely to want to write here.

None of this is a new problem/issue.  I'm just wondering if the subdomain thing will stop this stuff from showing up anywhere but the user's own domain and in the hopper.

Again, it's not really even my business, I guess.  Me like write Hub.  Me do own thing.  Me worry own subdomain.  Tarzan not my problem guess.  Me not want flag bad Hubs if new system eventually bury anyway.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Robin answered that query on this forum here - http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78912?page=12

1. Lisa HW profile image81
        Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  I missed that, among the tons of subdomain-related posts.  hmm   I know flagging will always matter, but I was just wondering if the subdomains might isolate that stuff (at least the newer stuff) to be found either in the person's own subdomain or the hopper (and maybe if someone's name was "branded" negatively, the system would be less likely to enter their new stuff in that new-stuff "parade".   hmm

Since it appears the new subdomain thing isn't going to reduce the "new junk on parade" problem, maybe I should have turned the question into a suggestion.  hmm   I don't know...   Somehow, junk in the hopper is, of course, necessary.  Junk on a person's own pages are going to be there.  It just seems like the "junk among the new stuff on parade" could, maybe, be eliminated.  hmm

2. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

Good point and like the Tarzan me no thing.

Here's is a super example of utter crap.

http://theholytwin.hubpages.com/hub/8-a99

I haven't flagged it because I feel it is worthy of a little attention first.

Does it matter?

I have my own subdomain now, it's all mine and it's pure quality from beginning to just after the beginning where it trails off into sales pitches for toasters.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

If it is spun or incoherent I report it. I don't think subdomains allow writers to start ignoring the hubpages rules

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Yes it matters.  Garbage is garbage and will likely affect all of us, if not to the extent it used to.  Flag it.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
      Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't want to flag it.  It's the best title on HP.

This is the title becuase you lot won't go and see it...

Hi there Prince Charles and Sir HowellReynaldoGomezDelaCruz here email:theholytwin@gmail.co.za

1. IzzyM profile image87

I read it and flagged it smile

Oh Izzy.  Just let one go through.  Panda won't notice.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Seeing you read it too, can you explain to me what it was all about??

I don't know what it was about or why the guy posted it.  It didn't even seem to be spun.  One of the worst I've seen for quite some time.

But.

Was it so bad it was good?

5. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

It's gone.

working