jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Question about the "limits" of duplicate warning about a hub "series"

1. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 5 years ago

I am writing a group of hubs, describing 4G phones on various US carriers. Right now, I have AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile written. Verizon and "other" are in the pipeline.

the series of hubs share a common "introduction" and cross reference each other to make sure the readers can get to the right one.

The Verizon version hit a snag... it was labeled as "duplicate" since Wednesday.

At first, I thought it's the common sidebar. That was a small rant about how the carriers convinced ITU to define 4G more loosely. So I removed the sidebar. Still no go.

The hubs share common format and looks substantially similar, but have very distinct content. While some of the info is available on other websites, this is the only series that I can find that have gathered all of them in ONE place as a unique 4G buyer's guide.

So what exactly triggered the "duplicate" flag, and how can I avoid it in the future?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Neither a common format nor similar looks should trip the duplicate filter.

The common introduction, however, very well could.  Have you copy/pasted from other sites?  This will definitely do it as well as being illegal.

2. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 5 years ago

It's probably the common introduction then. No copy/paste from others, as no carrier presents their phone data in the same format any way. I have to consolidate into my own format, and it's just restatements of facts, like

qHD 4 inch screen
    8 MP back camera, VGA front camera

and so on.

It's interesting that the first three hubs went through and not the fourth (and I've already cleaned up the fourth one!)

1. Ms Dee profile image88
      Ms Deeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can relate. I've been doing a series on the different Myers-Briggs personality types, doing a separate hub for each type. For the reader to see what is the same between a given two, I had been saying the same thing in certain parts and then pointing out where the one is different. After doing several this way, I hit a snag where the last one I did was flagged as duplicate, even though others I'd done like that had not.

Even though I reworded those same parts, the duplicate flag still came up. I finally pulled it off HubPages and have posted it on another website, linking between it and the others I have on HubPages. Wishing it would work to have them all in the same place. That would be so much easier for the reader to compare the different types and see which one he/she can relate to the most.

Good luck on figuring out what to do!