jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Adding Pictures To Your Hub. How Many Pictures?

1. sasta10 profile image81
    sasta10posted 5 years ago

Hi, I know hubpages allows you to add many pictures as you want, but is it a good idea to overload your hub with lots of pictures or should you have a limit.  How many pictures should you use and where is the best place to put pictures (top, before title, end of hub, start of hub, etc).  Any advice welcome.  Another question, is there any way to put pictures on the left hand side of text.  Thanks.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think you can give a number of pics that are reasonable; it depends on the photos, the length of the hub, the subject of both, etc.

There is a category that is intended for hubs that are primarily photos - hubs might have 100 words and 20 photos.

Some of my "how to" hubs have a lot of photos for the amount of text - the photos are integral to the subject and show details explained in the text.  Others might have only one or two that simply break up the text and add some interest.  They are primarily for appearance, not information.

You can flush the text capsule to the right - that should put the photo (if sized correctly) to the left.  At least it works with an Amazon capsule - I'm not sure I've ever tried it with a photo.

2. Danette Watt profile image87
    Danette Wattposted 5 years ago

I have seen a few hubs that were basically nothing but pics with very little text, maybe as many as 20. While they were nice (one was about flowers, one was places in Australia), I think there is  fine line between enough to enhance the hub and too much so they are a distraction.

The past couple hubs I did I posted around 6-10 pics which I thought was a little too much but I felt it was necessary to illustrate my hubs.

Typically, I post 4-6 and I try to put them near the section I am illustrating. That was one of the problems with the 2 hubs I recently did that had lots of pics, they ended up just kind of "hanging out there."

I don't think there is a way to put pics on the LH side, which would be nice, though.

You can also make your pics thumbnails, so if you have lots, as I did with the 2 I wrote, you can make them thumbnails (when you go to upload a photo, there is a drop down box at the top, with choices Border, No Border and Thumbnail).

I saw one hubber who had their pics both large size and at the bottom as a strip of thumbnails. I plan to go back to my 2 hubs and play around to see how to do that. I imagine I would have to upload them a second time at the bottom as thumbnails.

Hope that wasn't too much info!

3. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

The number of pictures would depend on the category you publish them under. I publish hubs under art and design sub category Photography and use upto 12 pictures on each hub. That is because it is meant to be a picture hub and not content hub.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

As far as I know there isn't a limit to the number of pictures you are allowed to have on a hub. The minimum # of photos to get the "slideshow" view to appear is 5.

If you do not have at least 5 photos of decent quality, then the slideshow view will not activate.

I have some hubs that have upwards near 50 photos. wink

5. sasta10 profile image81
    sasta10posted 5 years ago

Thanks to all for your helpful response.  I really appreciate this.  Thanks.

6. joba1984 profile image60
    joba1984posted 5 years ago

I dont think there is a limit but from personal experience you sholdnt overload your hub with photos as it takes emphasis away from your content. 3 -4 should be plenty

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's a good idea to include just enough photos to create a slideshow, because that will keep readers on your site longer.

7. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 5 years ago

A large number of pictures can also be slow to load for some people who have slow connections (yes, some people still use dial-up). smile

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Enough to make it look pleasant and support what the text is saying not just "decorate" it.

Closed to reply