Weekly Topic Inspiration: Summer Activities

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (89 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Last week's WTI topic Shoreline Adventures topic recommended by K9keystrokes generated so many great, useful, inspiring Hubs that I thought I would extend the theme a bit this week and open it up to all summer activities.  So if you don't know what to Hub about this week, consider sharing tips on fun things to do during the summer! 

Dig out some old vacation photos, share your travel notes and summer weekend must-do lists, and you'll have created a great Hub in a jiffy!

Some keywords to play with: outdoor summer activities, fun summer activities, summer reading activities, summer preschool activities, tahoe summer activities, summer learning activities, summer art activities, summer activity ideas, summer craft activities, summer youth activities, toddler summer activities, free summer activities, summer activities for adults, fun summer activities teenagers, summer kid activities, chicago summer activities, summer activities in utah, summer activities for teenagers, summer activity camps, summer crafts, summer activities in colorado, colorado summer activities, summer bridge activities, nyc summer activities, summer fun activities

These keywords popped up after some basic research with the Google Keyword tool, and are ideal in the sense that they have more than 500 but fewer than 50,000 global searches each month. I have not researched each of these competition-wise, so you might want to Google a phrase or potential title before choosing it to make sure you're not covering an exhausted topic in which you don't stand much chance of overtaking the competition.

You can do your own poking around quite easily - here's how

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

I look forward to reading more summer fun Hubs!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

1. Jane Grey profile image81
      Jane Greyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi there! I just wrote about climbing Colorado's 1400 ft. peaks. My family has climbed several of them, and I have some great photos and stories, along with advice to anyone else who has ever thought about climbing a mountain.
      Thanks for reading!
      http://janegrey.hubpages.com/hub/Colora … rtime?done

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well worth the read Jane! The pictures are outstanding and made me feel like I was standing right there. Beautiful, just beautiful. Your information is very helpful as well. Nice job. big_smile

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second that! Your Hub is amazing!  I had never heard of "14ers" before. So cool! And your advice is awesome.

2. K9keystrokes profile image84

Sun, Summer, the Pacific ocean, and deep-sea fishing adventure! All less than 30 miles off of the San Francisco coast! Those cool California fish are waiting! cool
      http://hubpages.com/t/27745a

This is so cool- I've only gone on boating trips inside the bay- I never even considered going OUT of it! You've opened my eyes up to a new fun thing I can do locally!

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

here in Chilliwack it might be activities to do when the calender says July, but the weather says March...

That might be the best topic for a summer hub ever Flora! How to manage July activities in March weather! wink

Hahaa, really!

3. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I don't know if you just started supplying keywords or if you always have (never paid much attention before this, I guess!) but as someone who is still struggling to get the hang of keywords and SEO and all that, I find these very helpful. Thanks!

Oh, I'm so glad you find them helpful! They weren't a  part of HubMob (WTI's previous format), but I'm trying to build them in now. They can make a big difference- and provide good ideas, too!

1. Happyboomernurse profile image83
        Happyboomernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone, I also like the use of key words in the topic. Thanks so much for building them in.

4. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

How fun Simone! Summer has always been the most adventure filled season for us, so I can hardly wait to read all of the fun summer activities everyone comes up with! Happy Summer Hubbing everyone!

Yeah, agreed!  I loved all of the Hubs published in the topic you offered last week, so I hope we see a bunch more like 'em!

ME TOO! big_smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  K9-your little guys with the googlie eyes are hilarious.

Even smileys are having some summer fun...it appears someone has spiked their sodas! Makes me a little jealous!
        HubHugs DH! cool
        K9

5. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Just got back from reading your canoe adventure on Rifle River...very funny story with loads of great information. Had to laugh quite a bit at the couple who you and john were trying to help...funny stuff DH!
      Cheers!

Agreed! Hahaa, I've been in many boat mishaps, so I always love hearing others' stories!

Thanks ladies, it was annoying at the time, but boy we laughed about it many times over.  We have so many canoe stories, lol

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

We do get some days that aren't cold and wet. But  as you have suggsted K9keystrokes, I could do a hub on July activities in Marsch weather. So that is what I'm going to do-or more precisely, Indoor Summer Activities. That will be my very next hub.

Awesome topic Flora! I just love how creative writers can be-- can't wait to read it. cool

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Yeah! That'll be great!

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

I've written a hub on Indoor Summer Activities. I must say this is the shortest time it has taken me to write one.

Here is the address:

http://florabreenrobison.hubpages.com/h … Activities

Brilliant! Love the spin on summer activities! I had forgotten all about Uno--we use to play this all of the time when I was in the military. Dominoes were another game we enjoyed. Thanks for sharing Flora! big_smile
      Cheers~
      K9

Wonderful list here.  Clue was my all time favorite-I was the champ!

3. Simone Smith profile image87

Yes indeed, this is a great Hub!  And I'm impressed that you say you wrote this Hub really quickly- it's quite good! And way to go for an original, fresh spin that is still super useful and relevant.

8. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

I've read Jane's hub and commented on mountain climbing-I've done this once. Now off to do more reading...

9. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

I've read  K9's hub on Deep-sea fishing-never done it myself. Definitely, I would need to go on a tour  for the first time round. smile

10. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Interested in teaching your children and students about weather? A fun project and folklore backed-up by science your kids will have a blast learning! big_smile

http://hubpages.com/t/277cbe

1. Denise Handlon profile image86

What an AWESOME hub!  smile

Yeah. Seriously. This is incredible.  And I was just talking with a friend this morning about how we don't take the time to figure out what the wether is going to be for ourselves because we're so out of touch with the outside world.  I'll have to share a link to you Hub with him!

Thank you DH and Simone-- HubHugs!

11. Denise Handlon profile image86

Here's another hub about the topic of Summer Activities: Boardwalks!   smile

http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/2 … -in-the-US

What a fun and informative hub! Love the little history lesson about each boardwalk.
      Cheers~
      K9

Yeah! And I'm with K9keystrokes on being stoked to see the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk amongst the chosen few big_smile

12. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

My hub is about the fun of taking summer nature walks in parks, using Stanley Park in Vancouver, British Columbia as an example.

http://aliciac.hubpages.com/hub/A-Summe … -Vancouver

AliciaC your pictures of Stanley Park are very cool. Great job with the hub layout, one of the best I have seen. I enjoyed your work completely.
      cool

Summer nature walks are absolutely the best.  And I'm with K9keystrokes- it's a gorgeous Hub! Well done!

3. Denise Handlon profile image86

Alicia-rated beautiful and awesome.

13. Rose West profile image80
    Rose Westposted 12 years ago

Had a minor obsession with sidewalk chalk this summer... even got my friends to join in. It's not just for kids. Ever hear of Rob Bliss and the huge Sidewalk Chalk Flood in Grand Rapids?

http://rosewest.hubpages.com/hub/Fun-Su … walk-Chalk

I absolutely love this Hub!  Sidewalk chalk is SO not just for kids.  Heck, it was a hit on my old college campus, and a lot of adults are using it in super crazy urban games of hide and seek / tag.  What fun!

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of my childhood when I played hopscotch

3. K9keystrokes profile image84

My younger (way younger) brother and his friends have played some of the urban hide and seek chalk games Simone mentions. I would love to be on the sidelines to watch the fun! This hub offers a few of the most spectacular 3D chalk images around. I have to admit, I love to draw on the back patio cement with my God daughter. She can not get enough of the stuff. Very fun hub for all--
      Cheers!

4. Denise Handlon profile image86

Bravo Rose-a very interesting and fun hub.  smile

14. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

Fun things to do whether you live in Toronto area or if you would like to come for a visit.
    http://just-ask-susan.hubpages.com/hub/ … In-Toronto

Oh, I would SO like to come for a visit!  That's a great Hub. And I love the table listing all the cool, upcoming live music!  Ugh.  What an awesome city.

I love the Amphitheater Schedule also. But I gotta say, my first stop would be the Metro Toronto Zoo, I have no will power when it comes to critters. Your hub has triggered a need to land in this fine city in 2012! Nice hub-- outstanding read!
      Cheers~
      cool

I love Toronto  -   wonderful hub. smile

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
          Just Ask Susanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone, K9 and Denise thanks so much and I have this great idea smile
          How about next summer if everyone can make it we have a hubmeet in Toronto? Just a thought.

Now this is a cool idea Susan! I'm in~
            Also looking forward to the little 2 hour HubMeet in San Francisco on the 18th of August, Jason is talking about it in another forum!
            Forum Post: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79402

But Toronto 2012; that's just good fun!!  big_smile

15. Denise Handlon profile image86

Simone, this has been such a fun week to read the variety of summer activities that have been added to this thread.  smile

Agreed! The Hubs are amazing!

16. Kimberly Turner profile image69
    Kimberly Turnerposted 12 years ago

Hi!

Posted this in April to give people new ideas for up coming summer activities in the North East. I complied this through tons of research and these all are on my definite must to-dos this summer! Hope you enjoy!

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Unique-Twist- … Activities

good hub smile

Yeah! These things sound like tons of fun, Kimberly Turner! I actually recommend adding "around New Jersey" into your title, since most of the activities outlined in the Hub take place in that area. It'll help you get more relevant readers!

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Here's my contribution for those on a cash-strapped budget--you know, those of us who can't afford a pool; don't know anybody who has one; no public pools in town, and so forth.

http://dzymslizzy.hubpages.com/hub/Summ … n-a-Budget

What a fun read! I found myself thinking about all those fun summer water-games we made-up as a kid. One of my faves this week DMZ! big_smile

Had fun reading this one, DML

This is great fun!  I love the photos, too.  I'd actually recommend taking out the WTI image at the top and replacing it with one of your own fabulous photos, since they're more relevant. I'd hate for people to miss out on realizing you have cool images in your Hub just because the logo pops up as the first image!

18. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

After being on vacation for a week, I don't know how I'm going to catch up on all of this great reading, write my own contribution and unpack/do laundry.  I guess sleep will have to wait!  big_smile

Hi Cara  smile   Good to see you here again.  Missed you.

19. manthy profile image61
    manthyposted 12 years ago

I wrote this hub because it has a couple of ideas that most anywhere you go you have access to these & it also meets the criteria of Summer Activities - I hope ya'll enjoy it
    http://manthy.hubpages.com/hub/Free-summer-activities

Very cool manthy.  Liked it a lot.  cool

Loved the healthy menu for a summer park picnic! Nice hub manthy!

This was fun- and you make an important point about sunscreen!

20. Denise Handlon profile image86

Here is a hub about how to choose a summer camp for your child:
    http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/H … rents?done

Great summer camp pointers and advice DH! Loved it!
      K9

Ooooh, I love this! And your advice sure is useful.

21. EMTINFO profile image60
    EMTINFOposted 12 years ago

sounds good!

smile

22. Denise Handlon profile image86

Great hub! Made me hungry for some Kohr's vanilla custard.

A Nathan's hot-dog and saltwater taffy? Are you kidding me!? I won't be able to concentrate for the rest of the day for thinking about your yummy boardwalk delicacies! Cool hub idea DH!
      big_smile

Hahahaa! Chocolate-covered bacon??  This is awesome.

23. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

Have just posted a hub titled, Fun Summer Activities at Cape Henlopen State Park at   http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Fun-Summer … n-Delaware
    This wonderful ocean and bay side park is only 30 minutes from my home and I often take summer visitors, including nieces, nephews and their children there.

24. Happyboomernurse profile image83
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

Am reposting my link to Fun Summer Activities in Cape Henlopen State Park because the first link doesn't seem to be working.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Fun-Summer … n-Delaware

smile   I'll take a peak at it later-going into town this morn.

Happyboomernurse both links seem to be having trouble...
      I got a "no hub" page when trying to get to your article. Sounds interesting though!

3. K9keystrokes profile image84

Thanks to Flora's suggestion,  I was able to read your fun summer hub. The pictures are so heartwarming! The beach and waters look refreshing. Tempted to give that kayaking a go...your Great Nephew looks like he had fun!

4. Denise Handlon profile image86

HBN--likewise, I could not access it.  But, I'll find it on your profile page. smile

5. Simone Smith profile image87

I fixed the links from both of Happyboomernurse's posts, so they work just fine now. It's a great Hub!

25. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

I read it via the Summer Activities Question site.works there.  In the meantime, just click on Happyboomernurse's name and then the article

Awesome Flora-- thanks a bunch! cool

Thanks K9keystrokes, FloraBreenRobison and Denise Handlon, for being so persistent about accessing my Fun Summer Activities in Cape Henlopen State Park article. You guys are living proof of how helpful fellow hubbers are and I appreciate it.

26. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

This week was incredible, ya'll!  I've kept next week's topic a bit similar- at least it's still summer related.  Check it out! http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79661

27. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I know that mine is a little late but I had to adjust because of our vacation.  Actually I was working.  Busy gathering information for this hub!  big_smile

http://cardelean.hubpages.com/hub/Plann … Theme-Park

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)