The Subdomain Switch ...What's Happening with you?

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 538 discussions (1974 posts)
  1. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

35 indexed out of 268 roll

besides my best hub not being indexed, at least I got paid by a client  today for SEO work on his site smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Richie you gotta check out that site Lizzy put under my post!!!

(cept put ypour subdomain)

Its amazing

2. Richieb799 profile image75

Yes Eaglekiwi, I saw this smile weird but one of my performing hubs is up higher with traffic from Ask.com and another of my achievers that is re-indexed is sinking a bit hmm

guess it will take a short time to get sorted to the previous positions?

3. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

I thought I'd share my experience with sub-domains, what has happened and what I am personally doing with my own hubs. Keep in mind that I am not real experienced in the technical side of SEO but do have a strong background in marketing and sales:

I switched to sub-domains almost 2 weeks ago. For the first couple days I saw a DECREASE in traffic. After that I began to see a big upsurge in traffic from Google - and my hubs that had done well before Panda started preforming well again. Adsense picked up.

Within days traffic started to slump again, not as bad as right after Panda but slumping all the same. So I started reviewing my hubs. I think that alot of our success here on HubPages will be based on a overall look at what Google sees on our hubs. So I decided to unpublish about 10 of my hubs that were low performers (mostly hubs written about then topics of interest - not "evergreen" hubs like HubPages suggest we write) I left the hubs that were important to me published whether or not they have received lots of traffic ( hubs that I felt had an important message and I wanted them to stay out there for readers to find even if they don't do "well") My intuition told me this was the correct thing to do.

Well lo and behold within 2 days my traffic increased even more on my better hubs and my Google traffic surged back, even with 10 less hubs. I am going to do another review and remove even some more. I think my lower performing hubs were diluting my better writing.

So take that for what it's worth. This is just some food for thought for those of you that are following this topic. I am not advocating people unpublishing hubs but I think there is something to my theory. Since we have sub-domains now, I think what we have published will be looked at by Google in it's entirety. Which brings us back to writing quality and evergreen hubs, which Google, HubPages and our readers love to see ultimately. Hubs that will stand the test of time.

Have a great day everyone!

(And BTW - My google adsense has increased to twice what it was right after Panda. I expect it to be back to pre-panda days this month. That combined with the HP ad program would put me at making more than I was pre-panda)

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dorsi, very interesting information.

My overall search traffic is about where it was pre Panda, although I have twice as many Hubs as I did back then.  I wish Google could give some kind of Panda report to indicate the content it is not keen on.

I haven't deleted anything yet, but I have been doing some tweaking.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Dorsi, for that.  I expect that many of us have been considering doing just that - I know I have.

I haven't made any steps yet, thinking I should let things settle down, but maybe I will now.

I thought I would go slowly.  Anything that has no hits for a month... tweak - if it's possible to tweak into some kind of sensible search offering.  Failures after tweaking - eventually - delete.  Maybe in another three months or so.

I'm basing this on not having any copied or particularly thin content.  Nonsense admittedly but who's to judge that?

1. wilderness profile image96

That's pretty much what I had in mind.  A few hubs that have nothing for a month and may 150 for a year - unpublish.  Especially as 75 or 100 of that 150 happened in the first couple of months a year ago.

I have thought of tweaking and re-publishing in a month or so, but doubt it would be worth it.  They've all been tweaked already, just about things nobody cares about.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I also think that's true. It looks at blogs in their entirety and they're sub-domains, so why not HubPages sub-domains?

I had already started deleting some of my poor performers before the sub-domain switch - some of them I moved to other sites and some I used to try out a backlinking network.  My traffic is showing no signs of slumping so maybe that has something to do with it.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Thanks Misty,you make a good point with regard to deleting or revamping some hubs,in order to let the good ones flourish.

It certainly cant hurt me ,since I get great traffic on the majority but still no clicks?

Red triangles excite me ,but like rain clouds with no rain in them, sighs

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, that post was made by Dorsi, not by me, but thanks anyway wink

Oops-sorry Dorsi 

lol Misty

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I hope you're in the HP Ads program then, it should work for you big time.

Oh hell-I tried.

I couldn't figure out which tax form to use ,so flagged it.

Buggar.

4. Richieb799 profile image75

Dorsi, I just switched and I'm seeing Red arrows for some hubs that previously were mediocre that I believed deserved credit..but my best hub hasn't re-indexed yet and my 2nd best hub must be still waiting to get its rank back even though its re indexed.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'm not so sure about this tactic.
    I've already deleted the hubs I thought were just crap, but I have others whose titles and urls don't match or if they do they have never caught on. I've got one or two I never liked, but have others that I think make a decent read, if they ever got readers.
    I've got others that are seasonal, and don't get views for 10 months of the year.
    Does Google judge content on viewership, or some other criteria? Obviously we already know that the right topic, written in the right way, brings us traffic. But what about the topics that are pretty rare, that people don't look for? I thought I was an a normal person until I started writing hubs and realised I have interests that interest no-one else, almost. Actually one hub I wrote over a year ago is for the first time getting traffic with Google. On a rare subject, without changes having been made. This is a hub I would have deleted if we chose to delete hubs that get less than 5 views a week. Now its getting 25 a day.
    If subdomains rate us as writers, what criteria are Google using, because I applied the same technique across all my hubs, mostly. I write the same, just about different topics.
    I can't help thinking that if we are reasonably confident of our writing ability, we should leave things be. Improve what you can, but don't delete unless we ourselves hate the hub and everything about it.

The ones I'm looking at deleting were written before I learned the first thing about SEO.  Keywords are wrong (could be fixed), subjects that have no keywords at all that get any traffic, one piece of prose - that kind of thing.  The only one I really like is the prose and I know it will never get any viewers outside of hubbers checking me out.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes well I have a few of them too. But way back a year ago when I started learning about SEO I looked at all of them and changed what I could. Title is probably the most important, then summary, tags etc.

I dumped about 3 hubs - they were awful I didn't even like reading them again!

I still have a few that I hate...but what can I do, people keep reading them! Can't dump something that is getting views.

I think newbies might do well to address their underperformers and make changes where they can, but for those of us who have been here a while?

Not so sure it is a good tactic, unless we have some further knowledge we can apply to make them better.

Deleting them, though, seems a bit premature.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

One thing we've been able to see a bit is authors that purely concentrate on SEO have been hit harder by Panda (target moderately competitive terms and reads like an SEOed piece of content).  I don't see any issue with improving old Hubs, although I'd concentrate on making them better and avoid overly optimizing the pages for keywords.

I think it can be argued to think of your collection of Hubs as a portfolio and they will do better if there is a mix of Hubs where some are keyword researched and others are not.

1. IzzyM profile image87

So our earlier non-keyword researched hubs could actually help improve our overall performance?
      Actually, I have quite a few later non-keyword researched hubs too, because I either liked or knew the subject and hope that came across in my writing.
      I don't think any of my work is purely SEO'd. Read plenty of that in the hopper and none of it comes across as genuine.

Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I began I just wrote about things I liked and I'm also inspired by all things internet so I can't help some of my hubs being this way inclined.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've always disliked having to use keywords more than necessary to cover a subject, so this suits me just fine.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

On page SEO, if we are talking about keyword in titles, URLs and summary are hugely important, even now. That will not change for the foreseeable future I don't think. But the use of the keywords throughout the body of the hub content itself has always been subject to speculation - how often is enough?

I have one hub I changed to add the chosen keywords and I hate how it reads now.

I may well go back and change it smile

3. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me, on-page SEO means getting photos and videos that enhance the page and offering links to relevant authority sites.

All the signs are that Google likes photos, links and videos.

Most of all, though,I reckon Google likes pages that people spend a lot of time on.

So an engaging style and plenty of info is probably the best SEO you can do.

Clumsily inserted keywords is the last thing a page needs. The Google bot is so good at working out what a pages is about these days it doesn't need too many pointers- just title, tags and the keywords somewhere in the first couple of paragraphs- as you pointed out earlier.

4. Marisa Wright profile image84

I'm hoping Paul will drop back to clarify what he meant by his post. 

I can't believe he's really suggesting we shouldn't optimize our Hubs, just that we shouldn't be writing made-for-Adsense type cr@p.  As you know, anyone who is using SEO properly shouldn't be creating something that  "reads like an SEOed piece of content". 

I'm more concerned about topics than about performing vs non-performing Hubs.  I'm sure you've been told often enough that when creating your domains, you need to pick a subject and stick to it.   I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the new HP sub-domains are different.

1. Will Apse profile image87

So many people are reporting great results for the sub-domain change. Go check their accounts. If the niche writers are doing better than the general purpose writers you might have some grounds for thinking niches are important.

At some point in the future, Hubpages might crunch some statistically significant numbers around this issue and come up with some reliable data.

Right now, the balance of anecdotal evidence is against your hunch.

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
            Amanda Severnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My hubs about art history and selling antique art are doing well again since switching to a sub-domain. My general pieces, poetry etc, are just bobbing along with the occassional view, much the same as they've always done.

The weak point in this argument is that I don't think there are many "niche writers" on HubPages.  Before the change to sub-domains, the great advantage of HP was that you could write about anything you liked - so very few people specialized.

If you can think of any examples then I'd be very interested to contact them and see how they're going.

1. Will Apse profile image87

You should get out there and lead the way, Marisa. You are starting to sound to much like Hamlet.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Off the top of my head you could ask Bob Ewing Marissa, as he only seems to write about gardening so would qualify as writing on a niche topic. I too would like to hear of his results since the change.

3. Pcunix profile image89
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a mixed example - totally unfocused.  I did see small improvement, but nothing worth writing home about.

I'll give it till the end of month and I may end up leaving some here anyway, but if it stays like this, I'll be moving most of it elsewhere in September.

4. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are 216,632 published HP users. How many of them did you speak to?

There are 1,153,906 published hubs. How many did you, personally, read and analyze stats for?

I know three teenaged girls by the name of Amy. Should I conclude that all teenaged girls are named Amy?

1. CMHypno profile image83
              CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now, now, you know that those of us who haven't been swept back to above pre-panda levels by the sub-domain miracle, are not allowed to say anything.

After all, it now all our own fault - even if I did spend an hour this morning flagging dross and copied content! smile

2. Will Apse profile image87

Don't fret. There is still a chance that Hubpages will crash and burn. Your dreams can still come true.

Incidentally, anecdotal evidence means anecdotal evidence.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
          Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa Wright - Avoid crap is a good rule. I think it's good to write hubs that are interesting, useful, entertaining, and informative as part of your hub mix.  Hubs that look like they were based on keyword research alone without true knowledge, or personal experience seem to not do as well and accounts that appear to have solely this type of content may not see a recovery from what I've observed - everyone's results will vary.

The new HubPages architecture is very different from every site on the internet.  There has never been a site HubPages's scale organized like this.  The architecture is designed to organize content by category, but also to segment it at a level that is very granular (subdomain by author).  While it's still early, it appears that pages under a single subdomain can still do well under the various categories.  For example, I have a breast feeding hub that is doing well (my only one), some gift guide hubs that are doing better than ever, and some bbq Hubs that are doing well.   

I think focusing on a niche is more about developing an audience that then influences SEO traditionally with blogs and sites. Publish regularly on a topic that builds readership will eventually build incoming links naturally via your readers.

We've been working on features and notifications that will help build readership for people that are interested in specific topics by quality authors.  We aim for this to achieve a similar result by developing regular readership for HP authors.  We've been testing the feature and it looks promising.  It's probably two months out for all users.  The core idea is you can still write about whatever you like, and we will help pair that content to readers that want to consume that content even if they don't follow you as a Hubber directly.

1. janderson99 profile image54
            janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So the niche game hunters and writers of shallow articles targeted on 'prime' vacant niche topics and keywords are less likely to succeed, especially when this is the author's major strategy. This will set the cat amongst the pigeons, and cause the samurais to stir!

1. janderson99 profile image54

HP has done a great job with sub-domains. But from now on we are all in charge of our own destinies. The response has already started - if you hits are down its because your hubs are low quality according to Google. Its a great reply that we will hear over and over again. Its your fault - fix it!

Thanks for the clarification, Paul.  That's what I thought you meant!

I tend to write what I want to write THEN do the research to find the relevant keywords.  Occasionally I'll do keyword research first, but I won't write about something just because it pays well - it has to be something that interests me.

That's still making use of SEO, and I think all Hubbers should be doing that - I was concerned some might get the impression they should forget all about optimizing their Hubs for search engines and just write whatever.

Interesting method.  I usually find a topic, get together a very general idea of what and how to write and then do keyword research to find out what people are searching for to find that subject. 

Very occasionally I'll just give up as nothing with any searches matches, but I've seen keywords listed at 30 searches a month get 10 or 15 hits per day so I rarely give up.

That way I can do the on-page SEO right from the start and don't have to change anything.  The keyword search also might give me other ideas about multiple keywords and possible an additional "subject" to put into that hub.

3. lisabeaman profile image67
            lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like where we are going with this, Paul.

I haven't been writing, but I've been doing a lot of reading in the forums. I was a little worried when I read some advice on this one about not having different topics. I listened to that podcast on on-line profiles and realized that mine was very, very lacking. With those thoughts in mind, I came up with a plan that I'm getting ready to launch. I think this will work more towards your idea of our profiles becoming like a portfolio.

My plan is to divide my hubs in to four main categories and push the categories on my profile explaining why I have the interest and authority to write on those subjects. For each category, I will have a hub that further explains my passion on one of the subjects and will direct readers to the different specific hubs (using summaries and links). This is going to take a week or more before I have it up and running. Do you think a plan like this would work?

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
              Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I totally follow what you are saying, but I was referring to the Hubs that you write as a portfolio.  Each person's portfolio may contain Hubs on different subjects, poetry, some with pictures and video etc.  The idea is that they aren't all the same.

1. lisabeaman profile image67

I'm sorry I was confusing... What I mean is, the hubs I write to become pieces in my portfolio and to have four main hubs to sort of perform as an index or table of contents for hubs within one of those 4 subjects. I published the first one this morning on maintaining a balanced life. I plan to write three more on leadership/professionalism, marriage and parenting, and saving money. When I publish them all, I will change my profile to highlight those four explaining why I write on those subjects. Does that make a little more sense? Again, sorry, I wasn't clear.

1. lisabeaman profile image67

Well it must not have been such a good idea since the hub was unpublished for duplicate content. How embarrassing. I've never been sent a violation from hubpages before. I'm honestly speechless.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Lisa, I have Hubs like the ones you mention, and I've seen a couple by other Hubbers too.  They are allowed and they're a good idea.

I'm guessing that you used the first few lines of each Hub as the summary?  If so, that's where you went wrong.  Write a couple of lines of new text to summarize each Hub and you'll be able to republish no problem.

Sorry for the multiple posts, that's what happens when you're in a different time zone!

2. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the input Paul. I've pretty much decided that there are some hubs that I'm just not that fond of anymore (written earlier, maybe on a topic of the day)

Then there are some earlier hubs that still speak to me/others but don't get many views - but I love them and they get to stay. So yes just like a portfolio where we put what we want in - and leave what we don't like out.

3. janderson99 profile image54

Thanks Paul,
      But can you be more specific re:

target moderately competitive terms and reads like an SEOed piece of content

Do you mean articles written specifically for a set of keywords ( a niche) that are short, and lack detail, balance and quality.

Or do you mean articles which have been SEOed for maxium keyword exposure - commonly referred to as 'keyword stuffing'

An example would help to clarify this, as well as a list of criteria.

Cheers,
      PS -- Nice to see the current rise on http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com#traffic

4. Marisa Wright profile image84

Paul, this post worries me. I'd hate to think you were telling Hubbers that keyword research and SEO are a bad thing.  You should know better, surely!

What do you mean by "authors who purely concentrate on SEO"?  If you mean Hubbers who chuck a bunch of keywords together and don't bother creating worthwhile content around them, then I'm not surprised they were badly hit. That's the wrong way to do SEO.

SEO is about ensuring you identify and include words that people are searching for, to improve the chances of your Hub being found - but any good writer should be able to use those words naturally, if their Hub is truly relevant to the subject.

Remember this video that Ryan made for Hubbers, explaining how to use the keyword tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAh9uCt4c

1. Trish_M profile image80
        Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just looked at this ~ very useful! Thanks!

I think I read, though, that having a title that was different from one's URL might cause problems. Is that true?

Also, I wonder if I am going to be affected by the fact that my user name is Trish_M, but my subdomain had to be under Trish-M. Underscores couldn't be accommodated, it seems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks smile

No, that's total nonsense.

I can't see why that would be an issue.

7. Richieb799 profile image75

Thanks Paul, some of my hubs are keyword optimized obviously big_smile but I'm sure you guys have seen some of my more opinionated ones.

Despite my best hub being de-indexed at the moment, one has shot up to take its place and traffic's not overly bad at the moment.

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I operate like you Izzy.

My hubs are primarily to offer tech data to mechanics and advice to car owners and a few other connected subjects, these make their own keywords, but I do some on-page SEO.

My other hubs are  a mixture of stories which are not money makers and are not SEO'd at all.

Some subjects simply take off on their own without any back-linking or SEO.... they just happen to be the right subjects...... things people are searching for. smile

9. Richieb799 profile image75

Not siding with anyone or anything but Izzy is right. I have to know about keyword optimization for working on a contract I got at Odesk smile

In terms of a portfolio yes it does help to have variation but when ranking a homepage for a website, keyword is still vital since a website has its own inner pages with variation.

10. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Although my traffic had slightly increased overall, it is still nowhere near pre-panda levels.  Some days traffic is good, then some days bad, and the  rhythm has changed - midweek used to be good traffic, but for some reason today it has gone down.

One factor I think is the summer holidays, as I have a fair few history and informational hubs and the the student are all on holidays smile

11. lex123 profile image79
    lex123posted 12 years ago

After shifting to subdomain, I'm happy to write that my traffic has really gone up. I hope it will continue like this.

12. Richieb799 profile image75

My popular hub is back in business, 2 days into the switch and its reindexed and traffic rising smile

13. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 12 years ago

Well after reading this thread and seeing people post that their traffic had doubled in 24 hours I was quite upset to see mine actually fall slightly after the switch.  However, a week on and after a steady increase my traffic is now almost double what it was a week ago! I'm one happy bunny, well done Hubpages.

14. Richieb799 profile image75

Just an update, my best hub is now ranking 2nd on Ask.com like it was pre-panda, (yes it actually got a lot of traffic from Ask)
    and earnings have been high today

15. Richieb799 profile image75

My traffics been up big time, wonder if its seasonal swing? I don't think all my hubs have been reindexed either. What annoyed me is I had 2 $5 clicks today and Google took one away, so I don't know if it was an invalid click or what :S
    I certainly didn't click on anything.

16. Richieb799 profile image75

I definitely think hub pages is improving, my traffics been improving greatly last week + after the sub domain switch on Sunday and I notice someone else's hub is competing on page 1 of Google for a 27K a month keyword my site is trying to rank for! in this respect I was annoyed at HP tongue

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Very helpful advice, thanks for sharing. It makes so much sense - rather than seeing hubs 'stuffed' for Thanksgiving dinner. hmm

18. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

My traffic and earnings have slowly and steadily returned to pre-panda state. I am happy that I am seeing a lot of red arrows in my hub stats. I hope this will continue to increase. I will definitely start thinking over on what Paul has said. I think it's very important for us, hubbers.

I'm seeing lots of red arrows and my best hub is nearly back to pre-panda in a matter of days since the switch.

1. MarloByDesign profile image77
        MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Panda? My apologies if I am not following you.

Panda is the algorithm change Google has been implementing to combat duplicate content and filter it out of search results.

Thanks as I was not sure about that and Google search resulted in pics of pandas!

19. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

My HubPages score dropped after I added the subdomain, but hopefully it will go back up soon. Just published a new Hub I am proud of, so we will see.

20. Ritsos profile image40
    Ritsosposted 12 years ago

I must admit I moved most of my better hubs away from HP so am left with a pretty poor collection which may explain why there has been little movement for me.

Currently rebuilding it though slightly annoying that all mine are being checked before going live and I'm not really sure why .. still, hopefully that will change soon.

I did not realize that you could move Hubs away from HubPages and I assumed our Hubs become the property of HubPages. Please advise. Ty.

1. Ritsos profile image40
        Ritsosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No .. they are yours

21. Alex Simring profile image60
    Alex Simringposted 12 years ago

Definitely been a change for the better. Site had much higher in SERPS

22. Buster Bucks profile image91
    Buster Bucksposted 12 years ago

My traffic is going through the roof!

My earnings from HP ads are higher than they've ever been, and my Adsense earnings are returning to their pre-HP ad participation levels (something I didn't expect to see.)

From reading these posts, I see that writers are having a variety of experiences with the switch to subdomains. Just thought I'd mention that I'm a hubber who is benefiting from the change.

I find that interesting, because I had a look at your portfolio and it's completely dominated by one subject - food. 

I know there are others who've seen good results from the sub-domain change but maybe your experience is a sign that specialized sub-domains could do even better?

23. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

My traffic is finally way up (for me) today, and I am hoping (!!!) that it's not an anomaly.  My Hubs were de-indexed/re-indexed fairly early on after the switch, and I saw a slight bump in traffic, but then it fell off very disappointingly.  Today is so encouraging!

24. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

My current situation is a little confusing to me.

The income from hub adds is steadily rising.

AdSense income although improving is fluctuating wildly since the change to subdomain. smile

Mine is fluctuating as well, I had a well above average earning day yesterday and today my traffic is through the roof but earning is average.

1. kmackey32 profile image66
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic doubled in the last hour compaired to all day....

Lets hope its a trend and not one off

25. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Hope this doesn't put the mockers on it ( as we used to say in the 1950's in television Cockney programs )... but my traffic is back to pre Panda levels.

Not only that but I'd say it's better traffic - searches more in line with what my pages are about.

Now I will say that in the last four months or so I have doubled my output, improved my SEO and generally smartened up my act - so it's not brilliant.

But it's better, a lot better than it has been.  I might even carry on doing this for a while.  See if I can get to a dollar a day.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The transformation of Ewbie into SEO expert and internet millionaire is complete! smile Congratulations Mark and hope it all keeps on improving for you

Lol and thanks!  I am still in the pupa stage though - almost ready to break out and become an SEO butterly. Or conman.

2. Richieb799 profile image75

I agree with you Mark, it is better traffic, its spread out evenly with many different hubs performing well. I now have several hubs achieving hundreds of visitors and 2 with over 500 a day

Hi Richie, I can only dream of that sort of traffic! One day.

One hubber I know used to get 8000 views a day lol

26. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Woohoo!  On vacation and just looked at HP for the first time in days.  Even though my author score has dropped dramatically(so sad!), when I checked my Google account, I'm making money.  Do you see me doing the happy dance?  I'm making money, I'm making money....ok, I'll stop now...

Views are up...looking good!

27. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

I am not for some reason...good for you though. I just published a Hub on filing Vet Complaints in all 50 U.S. States (spent 25 hrs on research alone!), so I am not sure what is going on. I only have Google AdSense, wondering if I should signup for the HubPages Ad Program?

Yes definitely.

Some people do better with Adsense alone, some people do better with HP Ads and Adsense combined.  There's only one way you can find out which one you are - try it for a month and see!

I'm not positive, but I get the impression that for the majority of people, HP Ads is working better.  I can only think of a couple of Hubbers who've decided to stick with Adsense alone.

The only negative is that with HP Ads switched on, it'll take you forever to get to Adsense payout.  However, HP Ads pays out when you get to $50, so you'll get something from them much sooner.

28. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Well, traffic and earnings have gotten a lot better again.  I haven't written on HP for months (have been writing solely on my own sites) but with the recent improvements, I started writing here again.

29. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Thanks, Marisa, for your responses to my concerns:)

30. Trish_M profile image80

Hi smile

Sorry to air my ignorance, again, but where and what is the 'status wall', please??

Thanks smile

31. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

Maybe the feed wall? Is that was meant?

32. Trish_M profile image80

Hi prairieprincess smile

Thanks for the reply ~ I don't really know :

What's Happening with me?

I have 104 published hubs, two of which seem to be consistently my most popular ~ one about Andre Rieu and one about Jane Eyre. 

One was published at the end of January, 2010, and the other at the beginning of February, 2010. 'Rieu' averages 12 views per day ~ with 9 today. 'Jane Eyre' averages 9 views per day, with 10 today.

It is nice to see that these are being consistent, but the number of views is low ~ and these are my most popular hubs.

Something is not right. I think that the quality of my work is reasonably good, so it is probably my lack of real knowledge and understanding about getting traffic.

My earnings are low, and my Amazon earnings, which were not too bad at one time, are now non-existent.

33. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I am doing awesome. I love Hubpages...smile

I've had 2063 views today and its still 3am..lets hope HP is back for good.

1. Trish_M profile image80
        Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations ~ that's brilliant!

But how on earth do you do that??

Views don't seem to be counted from midnight to midnight as far as I could ever tell. I think each Hub is counted based on the time it was originally published. For this reason I have often found at say 4pm my viewings total for the day is 1600, but when I check again at 6pm it is down to 1200 (figures and times purely examples). The only explanation I could come up with was every hour different hubs I had published are ending their latest 24 hour period.

1. IzzyM profile image87

The stats are rolling - there is no start and finish time for counting. What I do is count from 9am my time. Well I don't actually count, I jot the total figure down. 9am is when my adsense refreshes back to zero so I'm guessing that is 12mn US west coast time. That will give you a rough total daily if you keep figures to give yourself an idea.
            Otherwise the 1 day total column in stats gives you an accurate overview and right now mine is collapsing.I have 'lost' over 500 daily views in the past 8 hours while I was sleeping. sad

2. kmackey32 profile image66
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

RIGHT....lol @ Richie

34. sagebrush_mama profile image60
    sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

This was the first day I saw views number as in the post-holiday/pre-panda days of Jan/Feb...that was encouraging!  A few of my early hubs seem to be ranking well for certain searches.  Not much click action, but still, things seem better!

1. sagebrush_mama profile image60
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Guess that was a premature post...crazy swings in stats!  The same hubs that were ranking well yesterday just disappeared off the search results.  Curious.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it got linked to the stock market?

1. sagebrush_mama profile image60
          sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL...the thought had crossed my mind!

35. Uzdawi profile image73
    Uzdawiposted 12 years ago

I was also doing very well, but while I was sleeping I lost about 20% of my traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Uh-oh. Hope this is not an emerging pattern. I am still on the slide. sad

thought I was the only one having a weird day yesterday, traffic was the best its been, got the same amount of clicks but it must of been coincidence they were just low clicks, back to the high clicks today smile

36. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

For an accurate 24 hour total. Midnight West Coast is 3AM East Coast.

37. Elijah S profile image59
    Elijah Sposted 12 years ago
  38. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

I just checked my stats after all the last posters saying their traffic is going down over the last 8 hours or so, and my traffic is actually slightly up by about 100+ viewings to the last week or so. I hope it lasts!!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Well this is weird Google dance and I am pleased it is starting to work out for you smile

I also hope Lily Rose is now seeing a rise too. I've felt awful for her not seeing the rises most of us did.

I am now officially back to pre-subdomain levels, and still falling. Not on all hubs, just my best ones which have dipped down in the SERPS. They were crap for earning anyway, with any luck some better paying ones will go up...fingers crossed anyway.

Very strange, my traffic today still rising, now over 2030 views as opposed to my normal 1800 or so I have had most days since the subdomain switch. Can't see it lasting though, it will most likely all swap around in a day or two.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

Mine is just the opposite!  Dropping like a stone!  After one of my best days yesterday!  ARG! I mean...HISS!

39. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 12 years ago

As I posted in the other threads, I lost 50% of my daily traffic (2K visitors) overnight...and I am still falling.

40. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I always get the least amount of traffic overnight-and on Sundays.

41. thejeffriestube profile image60

LOL!

42. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

Yep my traffic has bombed too!  It is the lowest it has ever been right now....  sad

43. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

In the month of so since I switched to the subdomain I haven't really been able to get any kind of reading that lets me kind of settle into any daily-averages type of thinking.

At first I had a major improvement in traffic.  Traffic almost doubled or slightly more than doubled, depending on whether I was comparing it to pre-Panda high's or low's.  That last for several days, but then over the course of several days it seemed to settle back down to where it was higher (maybe 40/50%) than before, but nowhere near what it was immediately after the switch.  In the last several days, it's kind of been hovering around that range, although in the last four/five days I've seen it dip to pre-Panda high's (as opposed to immediately-post-Panda low's). 

Over the last few days, I've seen it go substantially up to close to where it was immediately after the subdomain switch.

I guess my point is that I think it's either too early to even try to settle in on some daily-average range as far as traffic goes, or else the days of figuring out some rough daily-average are over (at least in the immediate future and/or at least for people who approach their Hub efforts in the way that I do, which is essentially not focusing much on direct efforts toward improving traffic during, or after, writing a Hub).  Maybe the willy-nilly-seeming figures I'm seeing are a reflection of my own willy-nilly approach to traffic.  hmm)

The lowest traffic days I've seen since the subdomain were those few days that went down to pre-Panda high's.  So far, I'm happy enough with subdomain.  I'm not getting penalized for just being on a site (namely, this one), and if I want to put in the reasonable, direct, efforts to increase traffic it's up to me.  In general, the stuff that did well pre-Panda now continues to do better than the other Hubs (although not as well as before).  Some stuff that did poorly now gets better traffic (trouble is some of that stuff isn't on a "better-earning" subject (but that just means it takes more of some kinds of Hubs to earn than it does others; which is the way things were before.  Basically (and for now, and at least when it comes to my own mix of Hubs), it looks to me like things are back much as they were pre-Panda (but with some shifts in traffic to some Hubs in the mix).

Either way (and at least for today), my traffic has been higher since the subdomain switch.  Further increasing it and/or writing the kind of Hubs that I think will be the best earners are up to me - so I'm fine with that.

44. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Well, thanks to Panda I am no longer totally dependant on Hubpages, so have other things to fall back on.

Also, thanks to Panda,I am not getting that horrible feeling of loss, because I have been there before.

I have lost 1400 views in a 24 hour period, and it is still dropping.

My highest daily views post subdomain reached 3000 but averaged out at 2,500, so this is a huge traffic loss to me.

What is the point about knowing a bit about SEO when this happens?

Do I write the new hubs I  had planned to write, or use the keywords in my own sites instead?

Decisions, decisions.

My traffic's still rising.  Still not quite back to pre-Panda levels but getting there. 

It would be great to get a feeling for whose traffic is rising and why that might be.  As you know, logically I think sub-domains that focus on one topic should be doing better than those which don't.  I know Paul Edmonson says the cross-category linking makes a difference on HubPages,but I don't see how that can wipe out the advantage altogether.  My account is dominated by Hubs on dance and exercise - could that be making a difference?

My views and earnings have been rising, too.
        I am far from focused. I have gold rush history, teaching experiences, nature, food, personal memories, humor on a variety of subjects and a bunch of other things.

Very strange, since the other Panda updates hardly affected me at all.  I'm down 2/3s of my normal traffic at the moment and counting.  Is that a toilet I hear flushing somewhere?  smile

goodbyecruel world!

You have indoor plumbing?

Of course, Rochelle.  All of the best snakes have it!  smile

I can't believe I come back better than Pre-Panda, not only were my 3 best hubs receiving 100's and 1000's of views but others are approaching the 100 mark now...the sub domain was a great move

45. thejeffriestube profile image60

All I know is I think HP Mgmt should say something, even if that is, "we're not sure, but we are investigating" or else I foresee an exodus of sorts. This kind of thing breeds fear and panic.

1. IzzyM profile image87

They've already had an exodus.

All their best writers left, well not all, I am still here! (blushes) No all kidding aside, many stayed, but most of their most prominent earners left.

HP management were slow on the uptake last time.

I don't expect any comment at all this time.

46. thejeffriestube profile image60

"well not all, I am still here!"

And that's why you are awesome. :-)

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks wink

Gotta take the rough with the smooth!

And learn not to be dependant on online income. Too many variables.

I need a real job. Know of any going?

47. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

Wow..now my HP stats are really really low...

48. Uzdawi profile image73
    Uzdawiposted 12 years ago

My stats are even funny, if I look traffic sources, my google.com traffic has gone about 80% down, compared to 48 hours ago. I would not be surprised to see a 0 there soon. For the first time, I am getting more traffic from bing and yahoo than I am getting from google.

49. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

My traffic is rising steadily too, just as my earnings.

Well, now i've mentioned it, they'll probably come tumbling down hmm

50. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I've been following the thread and we expect there to be a range of experiences. Most importantly each author can receive benefits from being a HubPages member, but we also want to separate people where they won't feel the negative impact of Panda.

I've looked at a few people that have seen their traffic rise and fall. When it's fallen it appears that it hasn't been driven from Panda, but it's been a few high volume keywords that have been reranked lower.

If this happens, I've made recommendations on how to analyze and improve the Hub through personal emails. I'm on my phone now, but I'll work on a hub for next week on things people can do.

1. Ms Chievous profile image66
      Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to look into mine.  My views have fallen well below 300 for the day.. and I have 359 hubs!

So who reranked them lower, Paul?  It's hard to imagine almost all of my different subjects have high volume keywords ranked lower now.  Especially when others here see a rise in their traffic at the same time.

I wasn't affected on any of the other Panda slaps either.  Damn, time to move my hubs, I suppose.  Not too interested in redoing hubs anymore.

3. Janet21 profile image79
      Janet21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is more than a few high volume keywords...56 of my 85 hubs are displaying down arrows and I have lost close to 3K daily visitors since yesterday.  I am now lower than I was after the first Panda algo hit and still falling.  This roller coaster ride is becoming just too much to deal with.  I think my time can be better off spent elsewhere.  I won't be moving any of my hubs, but I will be very, very reluctant to create new pages here.

Well Janet, you've just blown my theory into a cocked hat.

You're one of those Hubbers whose portfolio is focussed - virtually all birthdays and celebrations and cakes for them.  Randy is too. So there must be something else...

It is indeed strange, Marisa.  My traffic finally bottomed out at less than two thirds normal and might be ever so slowly moving back up.  This is my peak time of year for earnings too.  smile

2. michifus profile image56
          michifusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep. Know the feeling. Im glad I was too busy to complete the the 5 hubs Ive just secured the titles for. That was this weekends job.

On the plus side. I have the weekend off now.

Me too!  I have several hubs ready to publish but think I'll wait and see if it would be better to put them elsewhere. 

"I'm sick and tard of eatin' them sloppy, slimy, aigs!"

Jesco White : The Dancing Outlaw

3. Janet21 profile image79
          Janet21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to burst your bubble Marisa. smile Yep, I am definitely one of those niche writers. I thought this would help the situation, but apparently not.

@Paul, feel free to take a look at my account.  I would love your thoughts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)