Notification about comments on your Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years ago

We recently made an improvement to how notifications are handled on comments on your Hubs.  If you would like to receive a notification when someone comments on your Hub, you will now need to "follow" your Hubs.  If you had previously configured a Comment Capsule to email you when a new comment comes in, don't worry: we have already converted checkboxes to "follows".

This system has few advantages: the most significant is that you can now receive all your new comments as part of your daily Notifications Digest.  Simply configure the "digest" column of "When a Hub that I am following gets a new comment" to be "auto" or "all".

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are telling me to do to make sure I get notified that someone commented on a Hub of mine.

How about something simple like go here and do this or that?

As for configuring a comment capsule, there's nothing in a comment capsule, while in edit mode on a Hub, that has anything to do with opting to be notified via email about comments.

Pardon me, but I'm confused.

At the same time, I think it's a good idea to consolidate all messages from HP into one daily email digest.

Hope I'm the only one here who doesn't understand this.

1. profile image0
        Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sally's Trove,

You don't need to do anything in order to continue receiving these notifications: we've automatically converted users to the new system.

We made this post because the interface changed.  You are correct that there is currently nothing in a comment capsule about notifications, but before this post there was.  We removed that checkbox, as well as a radio button in the email settings page.  We felt that many users would notice this change, and therefore wanted to explain it to them.

2. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ari, are you placing another box uder our profile so that we can follow our hubs? I do get daily e-mails when comments are made but personally it is nice to simply log-in check our comments and find out who has commented on which hub. Couldn't you create something unique next to our hubs so that when we go to "our account" and scroll through them a word would pop up that says "comments"? Something similiar to the "duplicate word that pops up when content is duplicated? It may be a complicated process but thought I would give an idea. smile

3. Krysanthe profile image90
      Krysantheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, will I still see the number of comments on the news feed page when I log in if I don't follow a future hub I write?

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I've been overlooking comment moderation more, lately. This might help.

Also, how about a notification of new comments on the main stats page? That's where I go most often. I know you can click 'comments' but sometimes I plain forget.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ari, thanks for letting us know what changed.  Does this include comments on hubs and forum comments?l

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I've received comments on my new hub with no notification. I thought you said you had configured them so that if we already received notifications we would continue to do so?

1. profile image0

IzzyM,

We apologize about this.  There was a period of a few hours when Hubbers may have not received notifications about new comments to their Hubs.  We believe that we have fixed this error.

Ari

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that smile

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I simply must interject a comment here. I realize that some people have hundred if not 1000+ hubs they have written because they have been here so long. And it can be difficult following every hub of every hubber you are following. But why wouldn't you want to follow all of your own hubs? It seems bizarre to me. why write an article, poem, review etc. that you yourself are not interested in following?

5. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

When I sign in, though, there will still be these three links beside my username icon:

Comments
        Your Hubs
        Your Profile

...and the Comments link will show me how many comments, if any, are waiting to be moderated - is this correct?

1. Peggy W profile image94
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is how it is still working for me.  If you notice there is a little box under every comment box including this one that has a check mark that says "Follow this forum topic" and it can be clicked on and unchecked.  If left checked, in that new email they send us with notices of all activity, it would be included in there if I am correctly understanding this message.

2. profile image0

That is correct.

6. naturegirl7 profile image85
    naturegirl7posted 12 years ago

So far, I had to manually go to every hub that was written in July and click follow in the comment section.  Apparently the transfer wasn't successful on these hubs and the problem was not fixed.

I checked one of my earlier hubs and it was set to follow.

I'm going to check June hubs now.

1. naturegirl7 profile image85
      naturegirl7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had to manually follow all my hubs that were written in June, too.  Quite a job, between June & July there were around 25 hubs...  It's a shame that the fix didn't work.

2. profile image0

We are aware of that some recent Hubs have not been moved over to the new system, and are currently working on a fix. 

This issue should be resolved in the next few hours.

1. naturegirl7 profile image85
        naturegirl7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  From what I read earlier, maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that the fix had been done and that you thought it worked.  Oh well.  At least now I know for sure that all my hubs are set on follow.

I had to go back to hubs published in May to find them all. wink

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I personally would prefer to have a little symbol appear next to "Comments" in "My Account".

At the moment, I try to memorise the total number of comments I have and click on Comments when I think that number has changed.

I directed all email from here to go to an account that I only check once ever couple of months or so, because it was clagging up my proper email account too much.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WriteAngled, you don't need to memorize how many comments you have in order to see if you have more. Just look at your home page and you'll see the number of NEW comments that need to be moderated in the top right corner.

As for getting too much email, you can shut off all your "follows" as Ari explained above and just look at your home page to see if you have any comments in hubs.

8. dahoglund profile image73
    dahoglundposted 12 years ago

I have just been told by a fan that he does not get notices of my postings. Then I found three comments which I had no notification of. The old system worked better.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I wish the digest email had a link to the overall comments page so that I could just click to go deal with all comments.  I'm missing that feature from the old notices.

1. Teddletonmr profile image69
      Teddletonmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keeping up with all the changes is starting to make my head hurt. On the other hand,  learning all the new stuff is cool...

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

OK, I'm finally going to lose it.  I have watched as change after change is followed by bug after bug and accepted this as the way things are.  I have put up with hundreds of unwanted emails because I posted a comment in some crappy forum thread.

And now, today, on at least two occasions I have NOT got a mail when someone commented on one of my pages.

Why?  Because I didn't connect the significance of the meaningless bit of extra step I do or DO NOT need to make when doing something or other that I haven't the faintest bit of interest in.

I want the default setting to be - "mail me when someone comments".  It's about interaction, politeness, user feedback - all that good gooey stuff that goes along with Liking and Friending and the rest of the Facebooky stuff.

It's IMPORTANT.

So pretty please with sugar on top - can you fix it so when I create a hub it automatically mails me when someone comments - EVEN IF I HAVEN'T PRESSED THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF OPTIONS?

Thankyou.

1. profile image0

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry that you have been frustrated by this. 

When we released these changes, our intention was that Hubbers would  not need to take any additional steps in order to continue receiving notifications when a comment was made on their Hubs. 

Unfortunately, that was not the case, and there was a period of less than one day where some Hubbers did not receive a notification when they received a new comment on a Hub.

We believe that we have fixed this but.   Please let us know if you see it again.

Ari

11. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 12 years ago

I think I'm getting the hang of it. Although the automatically checked 'Follow this' box is a bit annoying. It seems rather like making you "uncheck" if you don't want stuff rather than proactively Follow things of my own choice. Now I have to remember to UnFollow or I get a lot of unwanted or redundant mail. Oh joy. That's ok - it will all get sorted out.

1. profile image0

PegCole17,

It is possible to make the button unchecked by default.  Simpley visit the Forum Topics You Follow page and uncheck the box that says "By default, follow forum topics that I post to."

Ari

1. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also it happens on hubs where I make comments. If I don't uncheck the "follow" button I get mail when everyone writes a comment. TMI. But you know what, it's no biggie. I can push a button.
        Love
        Peg

1. profile image0

PegCole17,

If you visit the "Forum Topics You Follow" page, which I link to above, you will see menu items on the left hand side that say "Questions You Follow" and "Hubs You Follow".  Click both of those menu items.  They both have checkboxes which you can uncheck.  That will default the checkbox you describe to be unchecked.

Ari

1. PegCole17 profile image94
            PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dear Ari
            You have just saved me a great deal of button pushing. I am eternally grateful. Thanks so much. So cool!
            All the best
            Peg

12. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Thank you for that, Glenn. I haven't been going into the home page, because it is too social media for my taste. However, if it lets me have a quick look at comments, I will use it for that purpose.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)