jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Google asking for phone number

1. Just Ask Susan profile image86
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

This is not really big deal but I just signed into google adsense  reports and there was a message there saying if I didn't supply my phone number I could lose my account. I put in my phone number and went to where I wanted to go but I did find this a little strange. Is this something new? Has this happened to anyone else?

1. Urbane Chaos profile image88
      Urbane Chaosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If I remember right, I think I had to do that as well.  Google send me an authorization text message that I had to put in to have my account activated.  A lot of websites are doing this now - Facebook almost requires it.  It's a good way to combat spam, I think..

Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have had my account with them for over a year now and they already had my phone number...I suppose that is why I found it strange.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe you had a hacking attempt on your account? I've had that on Gmail and the first I have known about is when Google contacted me and asked me to input my phone number, then they texted me back if I remember rightly.

IzzyM Never thought of that. Thanks.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

To be honest, Susan, I can't remember whether I had to provide a phone number or not. If I did, however, given that I have moved house six (maybe seven?) times since I opened my Google Adsense account in 2007, any number they have won't be much good to them or anyone else! smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You've moved house six or seven times in 4 years? What are you? A criminal on the run? LOL

2. seanorjohn profile image81
    seanorjohnposted 5 years ago

Susan, you have nothing to worry about. Remember, Google's motto is "don't be evil."              You are safe.

I just sent off my bank details to an equally ethical firm whose motto is reasurringly "Don't be greedy".

3. Rob Winters profile image77
    Rob Wintersposted 5 years ago

Yep this happened to me yesterday when logging into my gmail. I think it's just an extra security to be able to access your a/c certain circumstances if things go wrong maybe in case you lose password & username etc.

Thanks and glad to know that I am not the only one smile

4. giselenmendez profile image59
    giselenmendezposted 5 years ago

Don't need to worry, it happened to me as well. The weird thing was to receive a phone call from Google with an authorization code when I wasn't expecting it, I had to run to the other room looking for a pen and a piece of paper in order to write it down... I wonder why the phone keeps on eating my pens and notebooks wink

5. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

It must be related to our clothes closet, which eats coat hangers - I think it's selling them to someone for bicycle spokes big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. giselenmendez profile image59
      giselenmendezposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are right! big_smile!

working