jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Finding pics of famous people

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
    MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago

I'd like to do a hub that includes a "where is he now" section on a specific actor.  My question is where do you find legally usable images?  I've seen tons of hubbers do it so I'm guessing its just something I'm ignorant of.

1. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Melissa, do you use Google images?  That is usually the easiest way to find pictures, IMO.

Go to (Google > Images > ) Advanced Search.  It will allow you to be specific about many different features of the image, including size, keywords, and whether you want it to be photos only, etc.  At the bottom of the form, there is a drop-down menu for Usage Rights that will allow you to select "labeled for Commercial Reuse."  When you use that filter, you should get the kind of results you want.

It is still a good practice to check - on each result that you like - the specific terms of its license (usually the Creative Commons license).  Some can be modified and some can't.

When I have followed this practice, I have almost always found some acceptable results, but not necessarily as brilliant as I would like.

1. Charity Squid profile image81
        Charity Squidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Whoops!  I meant to put my recent post here on your comment.  See it below.

2. kschang profile image89
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wikipedia / Wikimedia are the pictures you can use. Those are usually Creative Commons licensed.

Random pix off Google Images may not be usable. It depends on the copyright, and it's generally better to assume they are NOT usable.

2. Charity Squid profile image81
    Charity Squidposted 5 years ago

I thought that commercial use was for somone using an image to sell a product.....like a t-shirt, etc. and that we could use images on bing or google for websites only.  Am I wrong here?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you can earn money from it, it is commercial.