How are you dealing with the intense heat?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A heat wave baking the central and southern United States was blamed on Wednesday for at least 22 deaths this week as forecasters warned that the abnormally hot weather could last into August as it moves east.
    The National Weather Service said 141 million people in more than two dozen states were under a heat advisory or warning because of the soaring temperatures, the most recent in a series of heat waves that have scorched the country's midsection off and on since late May.
    http://news.yahoo.com/prolonged-heat-wa … 25653.html

what are you doing to deal with this heatwave?
    the heatwave is so intense this year..no relief after the sun sets...and it's still too hot to cut the grass after 7pm

1. cindi h profile image60
      cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately my husband and I have been working in this terrible heat. Delivering packages via Fed-ex. We try to stay hydrated by drinking our body weight in water ha ha. We have to keep moving but when it gets too overwhelming, we take refuge in the local business' air conditioned stores. For me it's especially difficult as I get severe headaches from the heat that can not be extinguished with aspirin!!  I also have a history of dehydration which requires a hospital visit, so I have to be extra vigilant.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ya'll still have grass there that needs cutting? I haven't seen many lawns that aren't dead. smile It's 103 here today....I'm over it. This is the first day in forever the dogs had to miss their morning walk and I missed my run. I'm angry and irritated from being cooped up. It was suppose to rain today...now it's pushed back to Saturday. sad

3. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I jackhammered/moved concrete outside 3 days ago, same thing 2 days ago, yesterday I golfed 5-6 hours. Today I'll be digging (hopefully for a half day only), the a double header for softball. Tomorrow is supposed to be a softball tourney too, so it should be fun! Yes, I am from Chicago.

How I deal with it.. Lots and lots of cold water.

Beats the hell out of the cold(IMO).

2. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Its Hot in the north too....

3. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 12 years ago

...and even further north, here in Canada.  So much for the old myth about it being cold and snowy, and everyone living in igloos. lol

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You dont live in Igloos???????? OMG

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....not so on the west....it's cool... maybe i should leave my igloo and head to another province....'bummer summer'

4. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

WE have had the extreme heat and no rain since Memorial day. NO exaggeration. It's rained 3 times.  Most of those days are 100 degrees.  It's been a dry heat for the first time I can ever remember. WE're used to humidity....not this dryness and wind. 

I have ceiling fans on constantly.  All the drapes are pulled, windows covered.  I try to stay indoors during the heat of the day. The livestock is watered regularly.  The pond has nearly dried up. I already bought the hay necessary to get my horse thru the winter...the hay is in such short abundance that the landowner told me I had to come get it as it hit the ground. It's all being snatched up fast. 

Drinking plenty of fluids, etc. That's all you can do.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Two air conditioners and four fans circulating the cold air through out the apartment. wink

Mid 90's yesterday and upper 90's is the estimate for today, and tomorrow, and Saturday. hmm

6. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are all so hot and uncomfortable. It is pouring with rain and very chilly here - good old British summer!

It would be great if we could all have something in the middle = warm, sunny and overnight rain to keep it green and fresh! smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, when I read "extreme heat" I thought - fair enough I have taken my overcoat off, but I wouldn't call it extreme.  Clement possibly, although not taken to sleeping outdoors in the nude yet.  Or ever if I am honest.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I knew that there had to be a good reason for the British weather -it's to make sure that Ewbie doesn't sleep nude outside! smile

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It's 42C here with the humidity. I don't have air conditioning and I'm sitting under a ceiling fan.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image88
      Just Ask Susanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a fan going behind me. The dogs are locked in the Bedroom where there is an air conditioner.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Here in southern Idaho we leave the doors and windows open until about noon.  The AC comes on around 2PM and runs on and off until around 8, when we again open the doors.  It gets all the way to around 85F in the middle of the afternoon.

It's been a very cool spring and (so far) summer.  I feel for you guys in the heat.  We're normally pushing 100 this time of year, but it's been really nice.

9. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

It's July! This is our Summer!
    I'm trying to deal with the intense cold!
    Well, not intense, I suppose ~ but pretty intense for July!!!

10. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Here in hot and muggy Guilin in China we are about to head more south toward the equator !!   bring it on big_smile

11. Stacie L profile image88

well we finally got some relief a few hours ago with a refreshing thunderstorm! the temps dropped twenty degrees and we opened the windows..
    it will probably heat up again tomorrow but its so nice to savor the moments..wink

12. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

If it gets any hotter here in Ontario I think I just might melt. With the humidity it is currently 47C or 116F. I hope there is some cooler weather on the way. Think I will go jump in the lake tonight to try and cool off.

13. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

Our hot and humid weather just left and headed to Ontario and YES my friend Susan are now feeling what we felt on the Western Canadian Prairies, 4 awful days of Heat and humidity. I was walking around sweating, all our fans going at once, two window a/c and watching our cat try to stay cool by laying on her back on our hard wood floors for some cool relief. Thank goodness it's cooled down nicely, beautiful cool breezes blowing through the house now, so refreshing at last..

1. Just Ask Susan profile image88

Ken, so glad that there may be some relief soon. I have had my two dogs locked in the bedroom (only place that we have A/C) They bark when they want to come out and then they bark when they want to go back in. Too hot for them in the rest of the house. Cool breezes sound so nice. Heck even a snow storm sounds good to me right now. smile

14. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I spent most of today sleeping, drinking water with a damp facecloth around my neck. Made it through the worst smile

15. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Not quite at the stage here of seeing a brass monkey crying his eyes out but it is very cold. Midsummer here too but had to put Winter jacket on to walk up to local shop earlier, against the howling wind and rain. Two years I've been back in Scotland and one day that I can remember without rain or snow. I remember the beautiful summers we used to have when I was a child.

Global cooling is definitely in full effect, at least in this part of the world! sad

16. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 12 years ago

wow its like an indian summer where I am  it is currently raining  wore shorts like three or four times  went camping and froze my butt off lol smile sorry for everyone that is tooo hot wish I could see sum sonshine smile wink

17. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

What heat wave? 

The Pacific Northwest has been having one of the coolest summer  seasons on record.  We've only had a handful of days that have gotten into the upper 70s so far this summer.  We're supposed to just hit 78F this weekend.  I'm still sleeping with a light quilt and flannel sheets on the bed.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that...Seattle is looking awfully good about now.

2. Just Ask Susan profile image88

Oh how I wish I had stayed in Seattle especially right now.

18. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

We've had temps in the upper 90's here and heat index as high as 115 for about a week. I'd have to double check to be sure, but I think that's the highest it's ever been in my life. It's pretty awful. Usually I only have to water my garden a couple times a summer once the plants are established, but for the last week I've been having to water some areas every other day. The broccoli is a lost cause, and even the tomatoes are starting to look unhappy. My poor chickens have dug themselves down in the leaf litter under the apple tree and pant like dogs to stay cool. I'd hate to be anything with fur or feathers out in this!

19. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Doing things earlier in the morning and late evening and staying inside where there is air conditioning when I can. I feel bad for those who have window air. Here on the west coast many of us have central air which makes a big difference. smile

20. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 12 years ago

lol I love the intense heat because it spikes traffic to my meal ideas for hot days hub!! Checking the stats for that hub is like a weather forecast. ;D

The heat doesn't bother me too much (it is in the 90's here right now). I put an AC in my kitchen this year and am actually baking homemade egg rolls @ 425 degrees!

21. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Come to Florida and cool off. big_smile  It's 87 and will be perfect around 8.30 p.m., sunset.  Dogs are walked early or late in the day.
    We have central air, it would be hot without it, that's for certain.  I also have a pool which feels great this time of year.

EDIT: girly, I'll check out your hub!  Fruit smoothies are great during hot months. I slice fresh fruit the night before and freeze it for a morning smoothie made with yogurt (plain), oj, and usually half a banana, add a dash of cinnamon. yum, plus I can drink it on the way to work with a straw.
    Fruit pops are also a great way to stay hydrated and cool off in a healthy way.

Here is girly's hub with some helpful ideas for hot weather meals.
    http://girlygirl09.hubpages.com/hub/Mea … ummer-Days

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65

Why have I never thought to put cinnamon in a smoothie before? I drink soy protein shakes when I get back from my run nearly every morning and I add all kinds of fruit and I have never once thought of this. I LOVE cinnamon. I shall think of you tomorrow morning! smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

I add it to my coffee grounds also.

lol..I don't drink caffeine so I'm out on that idea but I'm looking forward to my morning shake. smile

2. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

cinnamon in a smoothie - how decadent, no wonder you get banned so easy !

lol It was good! I'm hooked now. Cinnamon it will be for now on!

22. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I'm melting, I've got to get one of those fruit smoothies, sounds EXCELLENT!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are excellent. You can use any kind of berry, melon, fresh summer fruit like peaches and nectarines, mangoes. We have fresh mangoes that I have to freeze or they're overripe. They taste amazing in smoothies.

Hope you cool off.

23. Stacie L profile image88

i never thought that Canada would have such tropical heat indices...
    is the world coming to an end?  yikes

24. saddlerider1 profile image58
    saddlerider1posted 12 years ago

Even our polar bears and penguins are wearing sun bloc and cool shades and asking our Inuits for ice cubes in their drinks. lol

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

of there's no escaping it then...

25. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Can you people Fed-Ex the heat to Australia please? Bloody freezing here!

1. cindi h profile image60
      cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My husband IS a Fed-ex contractor, I'll have him work on it smile

26. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 12 years ago

Ok Jase, but only if you send some of your cold air over here?  We're baking here already...neutral

27. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Yup, fair trade, we got plenty blowing up from Antartica to share all-around smile

28. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

According to a tv weather commentator, as of Friday morning July 22, 2011, the city of Seattle had only experienced 74 minutes of temperatures over 80F so far this summer.  We should have that total increased by the end of this weekend as we are supposed to get two 80F days, but you never know...

If you are looking to beat the heat, think about heading to the Pacific Northwest.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

or a tad further north across the boarder  for maybe 1 degree more or less and a minute or two more or less....bummer summer I say!....ack! what a drag!...what's with that song 'here comes the sun?' - the beattles were brits right? and the Brits love these NA  north west coast areas - feels like home big_smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...and i keep a sweater at work just in case...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)